• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best location to live for UK contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best location to live for UK contractors

Sick of moving the family or doing the weekly commute and started looking into the best place to live in the UK for a contractor. It needs to be within commuting distance of many potential clients so that we don't have to move every time i change contracts ....

I was thinking it really has to be the south east and therefore living in Surrey, Berkshire for access to London, M4 corridor etc.

Any opinions, ideas or experiences?

Cheers,
    Spikey

I went East of London when faced with the same decision. If I was making the same choice again I would now choose West - near M4 corridor

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If most of your work is Londonish then you answered your own question. Somewhere close enough you don't get driven insane by the commute, but far enough out to not cost stupid amounts for the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        If most of your work is Londonish then you answered your own question. Somewhere close enough you don't get driven insane by the commute, but far enough out to not cost stupid amounts for the house.
        This rules out 75 - 80% (conservative figure) of the UK now thanks to Londoners buying houses out in the country for weekends, thus driving up the prices of houses out of the reach of non-Londoners.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Depends on where your work is mainly based.

I'm based in the north west, in countryside. But within easy reach of the motorway network (which means I can drive to Edinburgh / Glasgow / Birmingham / Leeds / Manchester) easily enough, 40 minute drive from main line west coast train line, 30 minutes from Manchester airport.

Allows me to see some greenery, but work pretty much wherever I want in the UK, Europe or US.

Plus (and this is an important plus) - it's not in the south.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Swindon.

HTH

Comment

I am northwest based also.

Don't even bother driving down to London these days.. I get the 6:30am train from Warrington and get a couple of hours kip on the way

I agree being close to the M6/M56/M62 is great for access to most of England/Wales/Scotland.

Although when I work in Edinburgh I tend to get the train.

Top tip on accomodation all over the place. The Hotel Club.

I usually also go for short term lets on serviced appartments, which are often cheeper per night than hotels and usually include broadband in the price. I have even done this for 1 night deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                I am northwest based also.

Don't even bother driving down to London these days.. I get the 6:30am train from Warrington and get a couple of hours kip on the way

I agree being close to the M6/M56/M62 is great for access to most of England/Wales/Scotland.

Although when I work in Edinburgh I tend to get the train.

Top tip on accomodation all over the place. The Hotel Club.

I usually also go for short term lets on serviced appartments, which are often cheeper per night than hotels and usually include broadband in the price. I have even done this for 1 night deals.
                I fly to London instead, since it's cheaper than the train if you book more than a week in advance. In fact, it's cheaper than a one-way train ticket from Preston these days.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't worry about the cost of the ticket. I charge it back to my customers anyway.

Although I do have a couple who insist I fly. They seem to think this means I will arive refreshed and ready go jump into action. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Swindon.

HTH
                    He didn't mention dead-end souless grey suburban areas
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X