• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Management Speak

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management Speak

Heard in todays project meeting:

Manager: "We have a lot more confidence in going live with the application now than if we'd gone live in November".
    Translation: "We could not make it work at all in November."

Manager: "This confidence is borne of all the additional testing we have been able to. do"
    Translation: "We now have the critical defects to a point where we can count them on the fingers of one hand".

Manager: "This confidence also enables us to compress the roll-out schedule""
    Translation: "We are over a year overdue and we're running out budget and excuses".

Why can't they just tell the truth

Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    Heard in todays project meeting:

Manager: "We have a lot more confidence in going live with the application now than if we'd gone live in November".
    Translation: "We could not make it work at all in November."

Manager: "This confidence is borne of all the additional testing we have been able to. do"
    Translation: "We now have the critical defects to a point where we can count them on the fingers of one hand".

Manager: "This confidence also enables us to compress the roll-out schedule""
    Translation: "We are over a year overdue and we're running out budget and excuses".

Why can't they just tell the truth
    I think we need blue-skjy thinking on this issue - lets run it up the flag-pole. Though it might by a different kettle of ball-games. Anyway, I am sure we have a window of opportunity to sort this out.

HTH

Comment

We're going to need to get our ducks in a row if we want to have any hope of parking our cars in the same garage.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Are you on the bus? You'd better get on the bus if we're to raise the bar and up tier our output this quarter, no time for wallflowers here my friends - you've got to pluck the low hanging fruit and create more output with less effort.

etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...

Comment

Can we touch base before the close of play?

Comment

Can someone pass the sick bucket please?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

we had "move the ballpark" this week - I think this is a combination MS - do I win £5?
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I often hear the word 'performant'. As in 'the system is performant', meaning it runs fast enough.

Trouble is 'performant' isn't a word in the English language.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Performant is part of the SLA speak.. not strictly managment speak. These are two different dialects.

Comment

Satisfising is an example of pure management speak

Comment

Working...
                    X