• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mighty Mouse - A new species?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mighty Mouse - A new species?

Here's the thing: I have mice in my garage. Uninvited, munching, craping and piddling everywhere. I caught one in one of those humane mouse traps and donated it to my neighbour's garden because he likes nature and stuff. Anyway, I quickly realised that the mice were breeding faster than I was catching them so I went into Terminator mode and put down a tray of poison.

This is where it gets wierd: Within the hour, the humane traps were triggered (but empty) and the tray of poison was covered in garage debris - sawdust, bits of paper, a small plastic Spider Man (motionless so obviously beaten into submission), anything that was lying around was piled into the tray of poison hiding it from view.

Not to be deterred and bullied, I cleared away the debris and re-set the humane traps. Again, within the hour, the humane traps were triggered (but empty) and the tray of poison was piled high with garage debris - a lego instruction leaflet, a large plastic spider, sawdust, sweet wrappers, paper clips and so on - piled high so it couldn't be seen.

What the heck is all that about? I'm starting to feel cerebrally overshadowed by my garage mice. They're toying with me. They're plotting my downfall and working out how they can take over my house but keep me paying the mortgage.

Discuss...
    35,000 TPD - 28/11/2007, 19:15
    (Special Sportsmanship credit to NickFitz)

Install a cat in to your garage.
    Wait for the carnage to ensure.
    Remove cat at the end of the operation.

Okay, so you'll be back to the carp and piddling problem everywhere, with the new addition of mouse carcasses, however, once the job is done, you cleanup once and that's it.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Install a cat in to your garage.
      Make sure the cat is quite ferral or from a farm otherwise it will bring the mice to you as "gifts".
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Wait for the carnage to ensure.
        ensue

Set up a video camera in there and see what exactly is triggering the traps and covering the poison. Do you have kids? Sure it isn't them messing about? Stop using the humane traps would be my suggestion.

Maybe it is rats and not mice?
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

The OP could also get a ferret.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Remember that after installing the cat you should install a dog to remove the cat and so on.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

sit in your garage armed with an AK47 and night vision goggles an wait for the rodent barstewards to arrive... then do a tackleberry on them!

or is that extreme?
              cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
                sit in your garage armed with an AK47 and night vision goggles an wait for the rodent barstewards to arrive... then do a tackleberry on them!

or is that extreme?
                I think that might be moles. "There's only one way to kill mole. Blow it's bloody 'ead orf!"
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Use a classic springloaded bar mousetrap with chocolate or peanut butter bait. On each of the two occasions where we've had mice problems (different houses), this has been extremely effective, and we've had no re-occurence.

Forget poison, forget "humane". Snap the vermin.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    I think that might be moles. "There's only one way to kill mole. Blow it's bloody 'ead orf!"
                    We had moles in our garden once and my dad set traps for them. He told us how the traps worked, often not killing it and just holding it there until it just died through lack of food etc. He also told us that they have really sharp claws. One day one of the traps fired off and my little brother ran over and pulled it out of the ground. There wriggling in the trap was this mole. He took it to the patio and let it out. The mole made a bid for freedom, back to the grass while he tried to stop it by pushing it back with his foot (wary of the claws). In the end he smashed its head in with a lump hammer - much more humane than letting it starve to death in a mole trap. Then the dog ate it. Nice!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X