• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Britain Earns (BBC2 last night)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Britain Earns (BBC2 last night)

No surprises there but I feel slightly embarrassed when I saw the people who clear sewers and the poor soles who prepare bodies for autopsy were in the 10-20k bracket, I wouldn't do either for 20x that.

46k will put you in the top 10% of earners and that same 10% earn 33% of all income.

It was interesting to see the top earner on £23m only took 300k in salary!
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

souls

Cats are evil.

Comment

I was more interested in the road rage show a couple of nights before that. That was both revealing and scary.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        I was more interested in the road rage show a couple of nights before that. That was both revealing and scary.
        Suprising amount of nudity for a motoring programme. Top Gear take note.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Suprising amount of nudity for a motoring programme. Top Gear take note.
          Hardly a motoring progamme, it was anti-motoring was it not? A nice slap in the face too that one of the nation's top cyclists is too scared to ride in the UK. When I moved here from Canada I left all my cycling gear there, as I could see the lack of respect given.

Laughed at the man taking anger management. nearly fell off the settee.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Laughed at the man taking anger management. nearly fell off the settee.
            I thought that was a joke.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              No surprises there but I feel slightly embarrassed when I saw the people who clear sewers and the poor soles who prepare bodies for autopsy were in the 10-20k bracket, I wouldn't do either for 20x that.

46k will put you in the top 10% of earners and that same 10% earn 33% of all income.

It was interesting to see the top earner on £23m only took 300k in salary!
              The top 4000 "earners" in Britain earn the same as the bottom 2,500,000 "workers".

Some of the big bankers only earn a salary of £250K pa. However their annual income is in excess of £30,000,000. Don't see the New Lie having a go at them for "fairness".
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 11 January 2008, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                The top 4000 "earners" in Britain earn the same as the bottom 2,500,000 "workers".

Some of the big bankers only earn a salary of £250K pa. However they're annual income is in excess of £30,000,000. Don't see the New Lie having a go at them for "fairness".
                Why would they, when they get lined up with a $1M p.a. job for 3 day's work when they retire?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I saw that too, I kind of agree with the mum who was annoyed at being singled out for driving her 3 kids to school when some arsy city type can drive just himself across town in a BMW X5 without anywhere near as much hassle.

The protesters that blocked the streets outside Buckingham palace looked like they had come down from the trees at a proposed Tesco site just to be annoying somewhere else for a change, I doubt many of them would usually even use a bike.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I saw that too, I kind of agree with the mum who was annoyed at being singled out for driving her 3 kids to school when some arsy city type can drive just himself across town in a BMW X5 without anywhere near as much hassle.

The protesters that blocked the streets outside Buckingham palace looked like they had come down from the trees at a proposed Tesco site just to be annoying somewhere else for a change, I doubt many of them would usually even use a bike.
                    The program tried to balance that out with the rants and protests of cyclists saying you don't need to drive into Central London. Most of whom are probably fair weather cyclists and the ones who are likely to end up under a construction lorry due to not working out that large vehicles have blind spots. (I've seen it nearly happen with my own eyes.)
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X