• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to perm thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract to perm thoughts

As per my post, I have been offered a perm job at my place of contract....

The pluses -

Very interesting project coming up!! Global client and huge in value. The biggest one in my career. Would be great experience.

Fairly easy going, know the culture (have become comfortable in another words)

OK money. 50k.

Work from home!! (apart from when I am travelling!)

Length of project 1.5 years. (estimate)

The minuses -

International travel - all over the world (would love it if I was single...but am getting married this year, and fiancee got worried about it when I told her)

60% reduction to what I am earning now...

Get stuck in a rut?

I've been thinking about the offer all day......I am very tempted to take it, if they can stretch to 65k...

What do you guys think, worth it at 50k? 55k? 60k? 65k?

Also, will I get hit by IR35, as I worked at the place first as contractor then perm? (I called the accountant, but he is not picking up grrr...)

If they will stretch to 65K go for 65K. Why reduce your income by 15K for no reason?

As for the IR35 position, are you going through umbrella atm or your own LTD. Is your current contract and working practises IR35 complient. Finishing an IR35 compliant contract with IR35 compliant working practices and then resigning from your company to go and work for a client of your company shouldn't really have any IR35 issues.

As for the job, well that's up to you. I suggest discussing it in detail with your fiance. If this is going to break up your marriage before it is started and you don't want that to happen definetly don't take it.

Comment

I just came out of two perm jobs that went bad. I would seriously think hard about whether the career benefits are actually all that they are made up to be. Could you just not do the new job or aspects of the new job as a contractor? Maybe it is time to become a freelance consultant and tell them you will work for them as try and find other other customers as well?

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
        International travel - all over the world (would love it if I was single...but am getting married this year, and fiancee got worried about it when I told her)
        I have a friend who gave up a brilliant job offer in Australia because he was getting married.

Ten years on he is still bitter and blaming his wife for that.

He's going to regret that decision for the rest of his life.

Are you?
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

As per my post, I have been offered a perm job at my place of contract....

The pluses -

Very interesting project coming up!! Global client and huge in value. The biggest one in my career. Would be great experience.

Fairly easy going, know the culture (have become comfortable in another words)

OK money. 50k.

Work from home!! (apart from when I am travelling!)

Length of project 1.5 years. (estimate)

The minuses -

Get stuck in a rut?

I've been thinking about the offer all day......I am very tempted to take it, if they can stretch to 65k...

What do you guys think, worth it at 50k? 55k? 60k? 65k?

Also, will I get hit by IR35, as I worked at the place first as contractor then perm? (I called the accountant, but he is not picking up grrr...)
          I would jump at the chance of marrying a guy that did a lot of travelling. That way my hubby could negotiate freebie flight tickets so I could join him in exotic lands for short holidays. Still, that's me.

Go for it, I say. If you are true to your intended and can be trusted not to play away from home (presumably that's what she is worried about) then she has nothing to fear whether you are in Timbucktoo or down the road.

Comment

thanks guys...

yeah, will def push the money thing.....

ir35, my own ltd...ir35 fully compliant, i call the shots, no manager...etc....

Ardesco, I will put my future marriage ahead of this job....., so more discussions over the weekend with fiancee....

as for brown issue....

I was offered a job after i graduated to go into the export/import business in China (with a well known millionaire in taiwan) 8 years ago.....the job was to handle a main operation of his business, and learn the ropes.....

I was young and proud....and in love - so turned it down...

1. Wanted to make my own way, then rely on mom and dad who used their connections to get me the job....

2. Knew long distance relationship with then gf would have been doomed....

Fast forward to present, I do think about it....(pretty convinced I would have made a lot more money then I have done now) but know I made the right decision...

So the answer is no.

Comment

Denny, that is what she is worried about.....

I am more concerned about her getting upset, then me cheating......

I have uber will power..........

Comment

I would probably ask for 70k and try to negotiate down to 65k (I have no shame...). Point out that they are getting an exclusive long-term resource who is normally only available on a contract basis

Comment

I feel your pain - my client is twisting my arm to go permie. If I was working from home I would jump like you are considering. However, I am 60 miles away!

Like you, I am thinking about the project coming my way, and how this could be a great career move longer term.

Decisions all round I think....

Comment

Money is not everything but "60% reduction to what I am earning now..." sounds like a lot.

The way I look at that you only need to contract 4-5 months of the year to earn the same amount if you worked the whole year as permanent. Might be worth thinking about. Not many people can afford to work only half a year...
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X