• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye my friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye my friend

RIP Mondeo my faithful runabout

My beloved Mondeo, born 1995 died January 2008 is no more. It is deceased, defunct, kaput; it has ceased to be a mode of transport. Died peacefully today without warning after 10 years dutiful service. No previous illnesses, aside from an exhaust backbox replaced some years back. I had recently bought new wiper blades and had you MOT’d too. You will be sadly missed my friend.

The AA man said the cam belt had gone, and this often requires that the engine will enter into a mode of knackering itself to destruction and beyond economical repair. He was not confident about its future prospects in the field of independent travel, and towed me to a garage of its possible final resting place. A post-mortem will be carried out in the morning, but I am not hopeful that it can be restoring back to life. The AA man was diligent and proficient in his services and also gave me a contact name of possible engine donors, but I suspect performing such a large transplant operation would not be a practical proposition for such an old timer. I was wondering why the engine power wasn’t quite up to its usual enthusiastic levels yesterday. And I bet the garage didn’t replace your timing belt 40,000 miles ago, as I suspected at the time.

Oh well, I may be in the market for another sub £1000 car. I might get something smaller this time. <sob>

Donations can be sent to your local scarp yard.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Oh well, I may be in the market for another sub £1000 car.
    Get a proper car you tight git. How about an A3, it's a 'steal' at circa 12k for a used one.

HTH

Comment

I just want my Mondeo back. Nothing else will fill the void left by that car.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Get a proper car you tight git

All that money he's saving by not heating his flat must be going somewhere though...

So come on TW spill the beans, where is all that lovely lolly going? It's not on gas bills or flashy cars. What expensive hobbies do you have?
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Just finished an uber badly paying contract (400/wk) working from home after revisiting uni to do a Masters. Unfortunately even though what I accomplished was technically challenging and the client hopping about for joy, it is not particularly good CV material. So money is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Get a proper car you tight git. How about an A3, it's a 'steal' at circa 12k for a used one.

HTH
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Anyway I’ve done the fast cards in spades, an up-rated Ford cosworth (360 bhp and the trimmings) Subaru legacy, also uprated and before that a Peugeot 205 (uprated) and a Alpha Romeo before that. All lovely cars, but the Cosworth used to shake bits off its engine with alarming regularity, before finally blowing up at a speed one would be caught and locked up for doing these days. Speeding is soo yesterday.

Comment

I'm with you TW, Bangernomics is the way forward. Leave expensive cars to people with inadequate personalities and todgers. Anyone who buys an expensive car in this country where you can't enjoy it is a fool.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Anyway I’ve done the fast cards in spades, an up-rated Ford cosworth (360 bhp and the trimmings) Subaru legacy, also uprated and before that a Peugeot 205 (uprated) and a Alpha Romeo before that. All lovely cars, but the Cosworth used to shake bits off its engine with alarming regularity, before finally blowing up at a speed one would be caught and locked up for doing these days. Speeding is soo yesterday.

Alfa

Heresy!
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I'm with you TW, Bangernomics is the way forward. Leave expensive cars to people with inadequate personalities and todgers. Anyone who buys an expensive car in this country where you can't enjoy it is a fool.
                    There's a difference between expensive and a turbo-charged fast car. Get something reliable is what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                    X