• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Was Your School Motto?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Was Your School Motto?

There was something about this on the radio a few months back but I can't remember what the gist of it was. Maybe it was that if more schools had mottos they'd hit the government's ultra-ambitious (not) target of 30% of 16 year olds getting 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (remembering that "vocational" qualifications such as NVQ brick-laying count as 4 GCSE passes).

Anyway, I can't remember, so, what was your school motto? Did it mean anything to you at the time or now in restrospect? Did it or does it inspire you or nauseate you? Or did you go to the school of hard knocks where the only motto was, "are you looking at my pint?".

Mine was "Haec Olim Meminisse Iuvabit", which I thought was gloriously world weary and in hindsight somewhat post-modern, rather neatly deconstructing the whole school experience in a sort of down-to-earth realism.

The more erudite among you* will recognise that as a quote from The Aeneid that roughly translates as "One day it will be a pleasure to remember even these things". None of this "Through endeavour, the sky" type nonsense.

* BTW, erudite is not a type of glue, Dodgy.

Can't remember as it was a Grammar school when I attended, it is now a comprehensive. the motto now is:

We strive for excellence in all aspects of school life

Don't think it is the same as when I attended over thirty five years ago
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Can't remember as it was a Grammar school when I attended, it is now a comprehensive. the motto now is:

We strive for excellence in all aspects of school life

Don't think it is the same as when I attended over thirty five years ago
      Blimey, that sounds like Asda's mission statement or something like that!

Comment

Found the original Motto:

Terra Marique

by sea or land

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          Found the original Motto:

Terra Marique

by sea or land
          Christopher Cockerell* wasn't the headmaster by any chance?

* Flipping stupid profanity checker: the inventor of the hovercraft whose name begins with C O C K

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
            Christopher noddyerell* wasn't the headmaster by any chance?

* Flipping stupid profanity checker: the inventor of the hovercraft whose name begins with C O C K
            I can't remember that far back
            I can barely remember two of my old school mates names and two girls names

Comment

Sapere Est Vincere.

To know defeat.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Carpe Diem - Seize the Day. As opposed to some fish related death nonsense.

My favourite latin phrase however is

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem", no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know know to be superior in battle.)
                Last edited by Weltchy; 11 January 2008, 06:55.

Comment

Nemo me impunit lacessit

Comment

Nil Nisi Malis Terrori
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X