• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 4 6 8 Motorway…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 4 6 8 Motorway…..

Motorway madness central out there today.

The roads were fine, it is the driver behaviour that I found disturbing.

It is a foggy, icy morning on those there moors. I like to always keep the 2 second rule gap from the car behind.

I do not drive with empty road in front of me, just the 2 second gap.

Why then do several people INSIST on driving within a foot of me and go ballistic when I need to brake to maintain the gap with somebody changing lanes?

Also, why do these people see the need to undertake and go hell for leather to get one ahead of me when we are only going to be 2 seconds apart?

Quite scary!

I once told my then wife that the M62 would kill me.

I now live in Cambridge!

Comment

'Also, why do these people see the need to undertake'

Wilmslow,

it's sounds like you are one of this army of plonkers who hog the middle lane when you could be in the left lane

people like you hogging the middle lane slow down the whole motorway network

hence people probably go past you on the inside to make the point that you should move over

try using all three lanes in future instead of only the middle and outside

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Wilmslow,

it's sounds like you are one of this army of plonkers who hog the middle lane when you could be in the left lane

hence people probably go past you on the inside to make the point that you should move over

Milan.
        For the first time, we are in complete agreement.

I used to work with two guys who always drove in the outside lane. They would move over into the middle lane when someone came up behind then, and then move straight back out again

And good morning, milan.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Wilmslow,

Milan.

Milan,

That is NOT what I said!

If you have eyes, use the blinking things. And think. Please.

I said I keep 2 seconds from the guy in front, and do not follow empty road.

This suggests that I am not hogging.

I am going at the same pace as the guy in front, just 2 secs after him.

I also happen to be a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists so know a little more about driver safety that your average rep mobile.

Suggest that you do not make assumptions like this on any project you are working on!

There, feel better for a little forum rage to combat the road rage I experienced!

Comment

Morning FAQ,

how's it going ?

And the good news is... today is Friday :-)

On call tomorrow and gotta do a few hours on Sunday

but heh, every little helps

What you upto this weekend ?

Milan.

Comment

oh dear !

I've heard it all now !!!

'I also happen to be a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists ',

Wilmslow,

you said, people undertake you, did you not say that ? If you are a victim of people undertaking then it means those people are a victim of you not moving over when the lane to your left has space and that means all the way to the far left lane and not sitting in the middle lane and blocking up the motorway network

Do you also live with your mum and dad ?

Milan.

Comment

oh dear !

I've heard it all now !!!

'I also happen to be a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists ',

Wilmslow,

you said, people undertake you, did you not say that ? If you are a victim of people undertaking then it means those people are a victim of you not moving over when the lane to your left has space and that means all the way to the far left lane and not sitting in the middle lane and blocking up the motorway network

Do you also live with your mum and dad ?

Milan.
                I am in my mid 30’s, and my mum is widowed. Another dangerous assumption there fella.

Lane 1 on the M62 is full of trucks.

Lane 2 is normally also full of trucks, but used as a truck overtaking lane that has a few clear moments.

The muppets who drive up to the car in front are not respecting the 2 secs gap that should be respected, and risking their lives, and the lives of the people they are undertaking by racing to get in front of the car in front of lane at the 70-80 mark with the truck they are about to hit either in lane 2, or lane 1 truck pulling out for overtaking.

Combine this with icy patches this morning and intense fog, and you can see why it is sensible to keep a safe 2 second gap. The point I was making is not just the undertaking, but, how people often drive up to 5 foot of the car in front in dangerous conditions.

If you wish to argue, feel free, if it makes you happy.

Comment

Morning FAQ,

how's it going ?

And the good news is... today is Friday :-)

On call tomorrow and gotta do a few hours on Sunday

but heh, every little helps

What you upto this weekend ?

Milan.
                  Work is a PITA at the moment - project was meant to kick off five months ago and started yesterday, but the deadline hasn't shifted.

I'm in workshops all day today discussing how HR can use the solution. Tuesday, same thing again with Procurement. Wednesday, same thing with Finance. Thursday, replan the project.

But, as you say, it's Friday! Which means I can dash off to the airport at lunch time and try to forget about the place. Weekend will be spent playing nurse to my poorly wife and children - not too exciting or interesting, but something that needs to be done I feel!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I am sorry to hear your mother is widowed and for you too.

this was not an assumption, it was cuk banter, try not to take it too seriously

however,

point remains, if people are motivated to undertake you it suggests you may be in the wrong lane

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X