• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boarding School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boarding School

Just reading the school mottos thread and I started thinking.

How many (if any) of the members went to a boarding school? What was your experience, good or bad?

I did and I get lots of questions about it when I tell people - there are some strange views out there re boarding schools.

It made a huge (positive) difference to my life and gave me some amazing opportunities.

Thoughts?
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

I went to boarding school too. Loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      I went to boarding school too. Loved it.
      Don't you mean boarding kennels?

Comment

Why not do a poll?

Comment

I didn't go to boarding school. Loved it. Made a huge positive difference to my life.

:-/

No strong opinions for against them, but I do have to say that I've came across one or two people who went to boarding school who seem kinda fubar'ed for the experience. Depends on the school, the person and the experience I guess.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
            Just reading the school mottos thread and I started thinking.

How many (if any) of the members went to a boarding school? What was your experience, good or bad?

I did and I get lots of questions about it when I tell people - there are some strange views out there re boarding schools.

It made a huge (positive) difference to my life and gave me some amazing opportunities.

Thoughts?
            Why have children if you're going to send them away at 5 years old?

Couldn't do it to my kids.

The people I know that were boarders are all quite strange and have very little in social skills when it comes to interaction with other people.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Don't you mean boarding kennels?

Comment

I never went to a boarding school so am pretty set against them.

Went to the smallest 6th form in the country though. So I got a pretty good deal out of it.

Comment

Yep. Went to boarding school from the age of 13. Very difficult at first, as I was put straight into all O'level classes without knowing English

Still, I survived!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    Why have children if you're going to send them away at 5 years old?

Couldn't do it to my kids.

The people I know that were boarders are all quite strange and have very little in social skills when it comes to interaction with other people.
                    You don't have to go at a very young age - I went when I was 13.

Strangely it was the school and the fact that I spent so much time with other people that improved my social skills

As for a poll BP - I'm interested in views and anecdotes - plus can't be bothered!
                    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Working...
                    X