• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underlay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underlay

Is it worth going for the top of the range carpet underlay or is middle of the range stuff ok would I notice the difference ?

Forget carpet, then you don't have to worry about it. My house has none of the nasty stuff. Parquet or stone tile. ( and underfloor heating )
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Forget carpet, then you don't have to worry about it. My house has none of the nasty stuff. Parquet or stone tile. ( and underfloor heating )
      It's for the bedrooms ands stairs, stairs safer with carpet

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        stairs safer with carpet
        You got that right. I have a wooden spiral staircase which is lethal if only wearing socks. Only one house rule here - footwear has to be worn when using the stairs, had two people get down to the bottom rather quickly.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

But it looks so much better, and the blood washes right out.

tbh, we have stone tiles on the stair - they're not that slick, even with socks.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            Is it worth going for the top of the range carpet underlay or is middle of the range stuff ok would I notice the difference ?
            In my experience I'd go for the cheaper stuff. It doesn't make much difference (although the tulip salesman will always disagree with that). The more expensive stuff usually has a more dense pattern and thus is slightly stiffer underfoot. I doubt if your feet will tell the difference. Mine certainly can't.

I used to always go for the best carpet and underlay I could find. Now I always go for middle of the range carpet and cheap underlay.

I replace my carpets every 5-6 years so paying through the nose is pointless.
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

If you're looking at stuff like tredair then it doesnt matter - its all rubbish.

If however you go for the thick felt stuff then yes it does make a difference and you will notice. Even a moderate carpet will feel like a top quality one.

Comment

yuk,

carpets

uurrrggghhhhhh

as was already said, you don't want carpets,

wooden floors and terracota floor tiles

of course where you have floor tiles you should have underfloor heating

there is nothing more disgusting than dirty gruby carpets which look great
                but hold all the bacteria in the house

as for the stairs, absolute hobnob, nothing is more slippery for socks than carpet covered stairs

Milan.

Comment

Cloud 9

Comment

Axminster and only the best underlay.

Scope out the New Axminster Riverbed. Carpet to last you a lifetime, so you might as well get good underlay too.
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X