• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT get their act together

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT get their act together

I've been sharing a wireless connection with my neighbour since I moved here some time ago until I organised a phone line. Last year after 3 months of waiting, phone calls, losing the will to live, I finally cancelled the order and gave up on the idea.

Being fed up with slow connections and dropouts I called BT again last Sunday and ordered a phone line and broadband. Yesterday (Friday), the phone line went live and the hub/router arrived and worked first time. I have to say I'm impressed with how it all went this time, something I wasn't expecting. I wonder if somebody had their arse kicked or they found a competent / interested engineer. Anybody else actually had a good experience with BT or is this a one off?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I wonder if somebody had their arse kicked or they found a competent / interested engineer. Anybody else actually had a good experience with BT or is this a one off?
    Impressive indeed, though I tend to believe you just got lucky.

On the other hand, when I got rid of my house in the UK, they caused me a load of grief transferring the phone line too the new folks, so I never bothered paying the final BT bill. I knew full well that their policy then wasn't to chase you for the money on a final bill but wait until you applied for another phone.

About 2 years later (early 2002) they got a new top man and he must have found that pile of uncollected cash, and started kicking someone's arses, and they started chasing that final bill. So arse kicking/finding someone competent can work for them.

Mind you, their money grabbing attitude struck again, as they used some el cheapo postal service which took weeks to get here, and they started getting extremely heavy with me because I hadn't responded to their first letter (by which we mean the one that arrived about a week after the heavy version arrived).
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
    X