• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone met old friends off Friends Reunited?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone met old friends off Friends Reunited?

I did a few years ago. I met up with three former classmates I hadn't seen for over 25 years. Two of them had been best buddies all along and still are, another had been friends with these two for five years and still saw each other regularlly every few years. In my case I had never been close friends at school with any of them, in fact we'd been adversaries on some occasions, but I did share some lessons and some adventures and fun at times and that's why I agreed to meet with them. It was a good chance to catch up and swap stories and see how we'd matured and aged and see how well we were doing. We met up about 3 times per year over a couple of years. But I don't see them anymore.

After the initial curiosity wore off, and we'd exhausted all there was to say about past laughs and adventures and bitching and gossiping about those we hated at school - teachers and pupils alike, I realised that I had little in common with any of them apart from school - different values, interests, outlook on life and so on.

I guess if I was to be friends from now on as if we always had been since we left school we would never have lost touch in the first place. It might have been better if none of us had seen each other since school, putting us on an even footing on how much we knew about each other when we did finally meet.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by Denny; 13 January 2008, 17:53.

I organized a group of 11 primary classmates to meet up in 2001 - 27 years after last meeting.

I dropped out of most things when I got divorced though. I get the odd invite to facebook - but I dont like that.

Comment

Am I old enough to have friends on Friends Reunited.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Anyone else?
        I did once track down a couple of old friends a few years ago, guys i hadnt seen for 15 years.

It was great seeing them again and but we had little in common now..

As an IT contractor i was much more geeky than they were and also much more higher paid, one earned 20K and the other 27K, whereas it was year 2000 and i was earning 75 an hour at that time..

Sadly i met up with them during a time of my life when i was highly focused on my career and earning money and thinking about buying a house and speculating in the dot com boom whereas they were more interested in having fun and travelling.

Comment

What's the point? If they were "friends" or you were the least bit interested in keeping in contact with them, you would've done so without needing a website.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            What's the point? If they were "friends" or you were the least bit interested in keeping in contact with them, you would've done so without needing a website.

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              True.

However in my case and some members of my families cases due to life events, mainly death and divorces, we were unable to find people as myself, my siblings and lots of my friends use friends' parents as a way of getting contact information and keeping in touch.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had an ex GF contact me, she was in London as well. She wanted to meet up for a chat... almost went.. then realised that it was playing with fire and decided it wasnt worth the grief. We broke up for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                X