• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can giblets be used?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can giblets be used?

Thinking about it today while putting a duck in the oven, if I had a pet I could feed it the giblets, but what use are these in cooking?

Like 999 people out of 1000 probably, I pull the icky bag out of the bird's jacksie and bin it. But there must be some reason why it's placed there in the first place. Possibly just to bulk out the bird and stop it caving in, but anyone have some practical cooking ideas?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thinking about it today while putting a duck in the oven, if I had a pet I could feed it the giblets, but what use are these in cooking?

Like 999 people out of 1000 probably, I pull the icky bag out of the bird's jacksie and bin it. But there must be some reason why it's placed there in the first place. Possibly just to bulk out the bird and stop it caving in, but anyone have some practical cooking ideas?
    main use is to make stock - my gf NEVER throws the giblets.

Local Council is about to introduce a new bin for food waste so can be turned into compost.

Comment

use them to make gravy. yummy
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Stock, gravy and soup....using them now to make a base for a nice gravy for a roasted thyme and lemon chicken (free range & organic of course) with a nice bottle of chilled Pouilly Fuisse.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Yep - they make an excellent stock or gravy.

Throwing them away is a waste and demonstrates that you never venture far beyond the cook-chill cabinet of Morrisons....
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've never tried it with duck, but with chicken I make stock out of the carcass too.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I hope you all draw off the fat into a dish and use it for roast tatties or keep it in the fridge and use it on bread instead of butter, best is of course from duck or goose

Milan.

Comment

has anyone converted to free-range then?

I think I might put a bit more thought into where it comes from. Trying to find some where decent on t'internet or in Sussex to source me chooks

Comment

Stock & gravy are the main uses. But they're also good for satanic rituals, and frightening children by pretending to pull it out of their stomachs.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
                    has anyone converted to free-range then?

I think I might put a bit more thought into where it comes from. Trying to find some where decent on t'internet or in Sussex to source me chooks
                    Wouldn't have anything else. Life is too short to eat chicken that tastes of nothing and is loaded with fat because it's spent all of its short life in a two square metre shed with 20 million other chickens.

I use these people for my meat. All free range and properly matured, they even do a regular box scheme.

http://www.devonrose.com/

[I notice the site is down at the moment though]

Comment

Working...
                    X