• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think the HMRC look at this forum ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think the HMRC look at this forum ?

Just wondered if you think the HMRC look at this forum ?
    Yes
    47.22%
    No
    44.44%
    I'm Atw
    8.33%

My ex works for the HMRC - I might tell a few stories of what they get up to sometime.

They are not pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      My ex works for the HMRC - I might tell a few stories of what they get up to sometime.

They are not pleasant.
      I don't think they're nearly clued up or enterprising enough to look at forums like this, in an official capacity anyway. Quite honestly I doubt it would help them anyway, as most of us are anonymous and tax discussions don't appear very often or reveal anything HMRC wouldn't know already.

Hey, BrilloPad, please tell us a few of those stories. I'm sure everyone would find them very interesting and possibly of practical advantage! For example, do you know if there are thresholds in tax amounts owed which trigger a more aggressive approach to collection and below which they might be content to let it lie for a while?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I don't think they're nearly clued up or enterprising enough to look at forums like this, in an official capacity anyway. Quite honestly I doubt it would help them anyway, as most of us are anonymous and tax discussions don't appear very often or reveal anything HMRC wouldn't know already.

Hey, BrilloPad, please tell us a few of those stories. I'm sure everyone would find them very interesting and possibly of practical advantage! For example, do you know if there are thresholds in tax amounts owed which trigger a more aggressive approach to collection and below which they might be content to let it lie for a while?

what usually triggers is high turnover low profits. But i was thinking of other stories - like how they look up celebrity earnings. Not A list overviously - but C list or below. And there is more...

Comment

would have thought they'd be a bit to busy these days sending out letters to people who's details they've lost to read forums.
          Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

I'd be careful what you posted, I'd say HMRC have a closer eye on this place than you think. If I worked for them it's what I would do - I can't believe that everyone who works for Hector is less bright than me. Also be careful purely becuase this place is open to google.

As long as you didn't say "I am JoBloggs Ltd I am IR35 caught but do £1 salary and £900k divs and don't have an accountant" then I don't think it would matter.

An agent once asked me if I was Sockpuppet from CUK. Woops.

Comment

I'll take it none have you have worked in the civil service..

Not that much different from contracting except when you spend all afternoon in the pub the rate sucks.

HTH
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I doubt whether anyone formally watches this forum. It would indicate a level of competency not usually found with HMRC.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I doubt whether anyone formally watches this forum. It would indicate a level of competency not usually found with HMRC.
                  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
                    A digital one isn't
                    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Working...
                    X