• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working @ Risk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working @ Risk

Been working for my current client at risk (without contract) for the last week or so. Into my 7th month this client and waiting for a renewal.

Just been offered a juicy contract with a former client and want to ditch my current client who cant even get a contract renewal out on time.

My question how can I ensure that I get paid by the agency for the last week or so served.

HELP advice required

Mutsa
    Peace

Mutsa

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH, WHEN THE AGGRESSIVE ARE FINISHED WITH IT

Originally posted by mutsaushe View Post
    Been working for my current client at risk (without contract) for the last week or so. Into my 7th month this client and waiting for a renewal.

Just been offered a juicy contract with a former client and want to ditch my current client who cant even get a contract renewal out on time.

My question how can I ensure that I get paid by the agency for the last week or so served.

HELP advice required

Mutsa
    So.... You are looking to leave to another client and still want the last weeks money?

Personally I think you are giving contractors a VERY bad reputation.....

Comment

Wilm, he's not in contract so he can leave any time he wants to. The client is at fault for not providing a contract to him.

Having said that, I would be inclined to be professional about it and speak to the client directly to tell them that I will be leaving.

And Mutsi, why worry about 1 week's pay if you're intending to move to a much higher rate? I know it's all money but you're out of contract and will be p1ssing off the client and agency, so I wouldn't bank on being paid. Try just being professional and courteous, which may get you somewhere without burning your bridges.

Comment

If you have been working, isn't there some sort of implied contract? If so, what is the notice period on that?

Of course, often the issues are practical rather than legal. They may not pay and you can force it legally - but is it worth it?

Comment

If I understand rightly, you have been there 7 months, are a week into an extension but have not been sent any paperwork.

Since you have turned up, and the client hasn't thrown you off site, the previous contract's conditions will be assumed to be in force. So, whatever the notice period, etc. were will still be in place.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

If there are no implied conditions then tell them you are taking 2 weeks leave then tell them you are not cming back once they have paid.
            Note: You will have pissed on your chips with both agent and client for future work.

There is also the patent TLG exit route: Smack the boss on the nose or feel up the secretary.

Come on be a pro. Do the right thing. You are ruining our reps too.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Relax

Don't worry man. Be happy.

Comment

Ahhhhh!!!!

Thank you all for your positive feedback it has definately got me thinking.

To clarify I want to be professional about all of this, indeed a scorched earth policy can only serve to cause problems when times are hard.

It may be only a weeks money, but hell, I need to get paid for my troubles. If others are feeling generous they can pay me the money in lieu of the client as a gesture of goodwill.

I thought not!!!

Anyway the bills will still keep coming regardless

Thanks

M
                Peace

Mutsa

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH, WHEN THE AGGRESSIVE ARE FINISHED WITH IT

Comment

To clarify I want to be professional about all of this, indeed a scorched earth policy can only serve to cause problems when times are hard.

we all want to be professional, the problem is most clients and agents are'nt.

Comment

Thank you all for your positive feedback it has definately got me thinking.

It may be only a weeks money, but hell, I need to get paid for my troubles. If others are feeling generous they can pay me the money in lieu of the client as a gesture of goodwill.

I thought not!!!

Anyway the bills will still keep coming regardless

Thanks

M
                    I really cannot believe what I have read here.....

Why not honour the renewal as you are already working there??

Have you actually accepted the other position?

To be blunt, sounds like you need a good smack with a wet, preferably rotting fish.

Comment

Working...
                    X