• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The shape of things to come....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shape of things to come....

'The row over a proposal to broadcast the Muslim call to prayer through a megaphone across part of Oxford has intensified as elders disclosed that they will seek planning permission to install a loudspeaker at the mosque later this year.

Residents are opposed to plans to sound the two-minute long call three times a day in the minaret of the Central Mosque.

But elders from the Central Mosque, where up to 700 people gather to worship every Friday, have pledged to plough ahead with the proposal despite opposition.
    '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nchurch214.xml

Milan.

Plan B.

Ear plugs for local residents.

Comment

Plan C

Buy all Muslims a watch, so they know what time it is.

Christians too, for that matter - don't want my Sunday sleep-in broken by the bells...

Athiests don't go shouting from the rooftops about how there is no god, why should we have to put up with religious nutters broadcasting their cults?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Plan C

Christians too, for that matter - don't want my Sunday sleep-in broken by the bells...

Athiests don't go shouting from the rooftops about how there is no god, why should we have to put up with religious nutters broadcasting their cults?
        I thought they had a system now where all the mossies got a txt message when it was time to pray.

Shouting from minarets is a bit medieval really.

Comment

I have a watch that tells me what time it is and from that I can work out where I need to be, shouldn't the Muslim faith modernise their practices so they don't upset the indigenous population that has so kindly tolerated their minority needs?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Plan C

Bugger!
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Plan C

According to the article the broadcasting of the call is not to give the faithful a reminder but is an essential part of their worship!
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                According to the article the broadcasting of the call is not to give the faithful a reminder but is an essential part of their worship!
                Which was only there in the first place because they didn't know exactly what time it was... as I said... modernise!!!

If they can't get to grips with simple solutions like this then no wonder some think it’s acceptable to murder their own daughters for apparently shaming the family.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                  Oh FFS...

If it was that essential why haven't they been doing it the past x number of years that the mosque has been there???

As far as i'm concerned you are free to worship whatever the hell you like in privicy, but when you start ramming it in peoples faces you are taking it too far. Jehovas witnesses are bad enough now I have to listen to some idiot shouting it is time to pray at the local mosque when I nip into Oxford???

I suppose it's only fair.......

Comment

I can't believe that this country has come to this....

I'm all for religious tolerance - each to their own and all that, but when it get's to the point where another (and a foreign one at that) religion begins to impact on the local culture like this, it's really time something is done.

This sort of thing might be fine for downtown Mecca but it's not wanted here....

Last edited by Dark Black; 14 January 2008, 12:25.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X