• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold

The price of gold has reached yet another all-time high, hitting $904.60 an ounce, as investors seek a haven from any potential US recession.
    Gold prices have also risen on the back of expectations of further cuts in US interest rates.

The weak dollar has also boosted the metal, as this makes it cheaper for holders of other currencies.

With platinum also hitting a new high, some analysts are now predicting that gold prices could reach $910 an ounce.

Is gold the new BTL?

How about building houses out of gold and then letting them to immigrants?

Discuss.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The price of gold has reached yet another all-time high, hitting $904.60 an ounce, as investors seek a haven from any potential US recession.
    Gold prices have also risen on the back of expectations of further cuts in US interest rates.

The weak dollar has also boosted the metal, as this makes it cheaper for holders of other currencies.

With platinum also hitting a new high, some analysts are now predicting that gold prices could reach $910 an ounce.

Is gold the new BTL?

How about building houses out of gold and then letting them to immigrants?

Discuss.
    I read once that the worlds entire stock of gold would only fill a house. Is this fact or fiction? Seems a bit low init.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I read once that the worlds entire stock of gold would only fill a house. Is this fact or fiction? Seems a bit low init.
      If the owner of the house is the Sultan of Brunai, or the Queen I would guess yes

Comment

A large house, but yes.

7,253,886 litres volume.

All the gold in the world - A block with edges 3 metres short of a standard sized tennis court.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          The quantity I heard quoted on an Open University programme was:

Every bit of gold ever mined, found or otherwise in possession of humanity including all that lost, worn away and at the bottom of the world's oceans would make a cube just under 10m x 10m x 10m. Approximately the volume of a house.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

Every bit of gold ever mined, found or otherwise in possession of humanity including all that lost, worn away and at the bottom of the world's oceans would make a cube just under 10m x 10m x 10m. Approximately the volume of a house.
            Rubbish, do you never watch darts? Bobby George wears more than that.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

So that's 10 metres cubed, or 1000 cubic metres

Or about 151 cubic mm, or 5.3 mm cubed (5.3mm)^3, per person on the planet (6.6 * 10^9 peeps). A little still goes a suprisingly long way it seems.

Comment

Working...
              X