• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Clarkson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeremy Clarkson

In full flow yesterday at his very best, killing lefties
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3176456.ece
    This has been my perfect week
    Jeremy Clarkson
    A couple of weeks ago, plans for a wonderful new coal-fired power station in Kent were given the green light and I was very pleased.

This will reduce our dependency on Vladimir’s gas and Osama’s oil and, as a bonus, new technology being developed to burn the coal more efficiently will be exported to China and exchanged for plastic novelty items to make our lives a little brighter.

It’s all just too excellent for words, but of course galloping into the limelight came a small army of communists and hippies who were waving their arms around and saying that coal was the fuel of Satan and that when the new power station opened, small people like Richard Hammond would immediately be drowned by a rampaging tidal swell.

They argued with much gusto that if Britain was to stand any chance of meeting Mr Prescott’s Kyoto climate change targets then we must build power stations that produced no carbon emissions at all.

You’d imagine then that last week, when Gordon Brown announced plans for a herd of new nuclear power stations, they’d have been delighted. Quiet power made by witchcraft, and no emissions at all. It’s enough, you might imagine, to make Jonathon Porritt priapic with pleasure.

But no. It turns out the eco-mentalists don’t like nuclear power either for lots of reasons, all of them stupid. They worry about what would happen if a reactor blew up. Which is a bit like worrying about living in a house in case a giant meteorite lands on it. They claim that people who go within five miles of a reactor die of leukaemia instantly. (They don’t.) They wonder where the plants will be built. (Wales?) And they ask what we will do with the waste. Simple. Put it in the Rainbow Warrior.

The fact of the matter is this. The decision to go nuclear has exposed the whole environmental cause for what it is: not a well intentioned drive for clean power but a spiteful, mean-spirited drive for less power. Because less power hits richer countries and richer people the hardest.

I’ve argued time and again that the old trade unionists and CND lesbians didn’t go away. They just morphed into environmentalists. The red’s become green but the goals remain the same. And there’s no better way of achieving those goals than turning the lights out and therefore winding the clock back to the Stone Age. Only when we’re all eating leaves under a hammer and sickle will they be happy.

I’m serious. All the harebrained schemes for renewable energy are popular among Britain’s beardies only because they don’t work. I heard one of them on the radio last week explaining that if he were allowed to build 58,000 islands in the Caribbean he could use steam coming off the sea to make enough power for everyone.

Yeah, right. And then you have their constant claims that the tide can be used to make electricity. Really? If that’s so, why am I not writing this on a computer powered by the Severn Bore?

Sure, this summer work will begin on a tidal plant off the coast of Wales. Eight turbines, each 78ft long and 50ft tall, will harness the moon’s gravitational pull, and if all goes well it won’t even provide enough electricity to run Chipping Norton. You’d be better off burning tenners.

So what about wind turbines? Nope. They don’t work either. Quite apart from their unmatched ability to mince baby ospreys and keep everyone within 15 miles awake with their mournful humming, they don’t provide enough juice to power a Rampant Rabbit.

Denmark has built 6,000 wind turbines and it’s said that together they can produce enough electricity to meet 19% of the country’s (frankly minuscule) needs.

But since they came on line not a single one of Denmark’s normal power stations has been decommissioned. They are all running at full capacity because, while the wind turbines are theoretically capable of meeting nearly a fifth of the country’s demands, they produce nothing at all when the wind drops.

And since nobody can predict when that might be, the normal power stations have to be kept on line all the time. It’s been a disaster, which brings us back to nuclear power: the only solution if you want to maintain our standard of living and cut carbon emissions.

Not only is the energy clean but there are other advantages too. The new power plants will be privately run, which means you can buy shares in them and you won’t lose a penny. Because when things are going well you’ll get a dividend, and when they’re not going well you won’t care because you’ll be covered in sulphurous sores and blood will be spurting from where your eyes used to be.

Better still, to make sure things don’t go badly a vast army of health and safety officers will be employed to ensure the concrete is thick enough and visiting schoolchildren are not allowed to press any of the buttons. This means the high-vis Nazis will have no time left to stop policemen climbing ladders.

What’s more, because so many countries are going nuclear, Iran for instance, there is bound to be a global shortage of sufficiently well qualified atomic engineers. This means wages will rise, and that will cause schoolchildren to stop aiming for stardom in Heat magazine or a 2:1 in media studies and start concentrating a bit more in physics and maths.

Best of all, though, when all of our power is being generated by neutrons quietly crashing into one another, Greenpeace will have to leave us alone and go back to unpicking dolphins from Chinamen’s fishing nets.

HAVE YOUR SAY
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

I'm on the fence on this one, can a country of this size afford a 'Chernobyl' type disaster? It's not as if we have anywhere else to go.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      In full flow yesterday at his very best, killing lefties
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3176456.ece
      This has been my perfect week
      Jeremy Clarkson

Best of all, though, when all of our power is being generated by neutrons quietly crashing into one another, Greenpeace will have to leave us alone and go back to unpicking dolphins from Chinamen’s fishing nets.

HAVE YOUR SAY
      He's a gem, Clarkson for PM is what I say.

Not only will Greenpeace leave us all alone, but we won't have to import fuel from other countries
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I'm on the fence on this one, can a country of this size afford a 'Chernobyl' type disaster? It's not as if we have anywhere else to go.
        Chernobyl was badly run neglected mess
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

3 mile island?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sellafield?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              On the bright side, I believe that Chernobyl is now a site for tourists?
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                3 mile island?
                How many dead?

Me I would prefer to take my chances with Nuclear power than relying on it to be safely supplied by Russians and Arabs

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  3 mile island?
                  American engineering at its best!

Let's wire the indicator light to the switch, not the valve...

Comment

actually playing advocate here... depends if we have used all those accidents / lapses to improve design /processes meaning they're much safer now - me old man worked for TNPC and designed a lot of the reactors currently in use - his view is don't go near them especially CO2 cooled reactors

As a btb it's sad that now we have announced the next generation it looks like it's the French who'll likely do the design & build ...all that expertise gone

Comment

Working...
                    X