• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The longest travel break you've had...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The longest travel break you've had...

Morning all, who here has taken at least six months out to travel? If so, how did it affect your work situation on your return, i.e. was it harder to get back into interviews?

How did you explain your absence from the world of contracting or did you just put it down as 'travel break' or something similar on your CV?

I'm getting itchy feet and am planning at least six months out travelling, just come out of an intense contract that I managed to bag pre Christmas.

Let the discussion begin...

Originally posted by Newbie000 View Post
    Morning all, who here has taken at least six months out to travel? If so, how did it affect your work situation on your return, i.e. was it harder to get back into interviews?

How did you explain your absence from the world of contracting or did you just put it down as 'travel break' or something similar on your CV?

I'm getting itchy feet and am planning at least six months out travelling, just come out of an intense contract that I managed to bag pre Christmas.

Let the discussion begin...
    I've took 6 months+ a few times and it has made it a bit harder but if your skills are still anywhere near to up to date then you'll get back in with a bit of flexibility. I used a lower rate after my last long break but then renegotiated once I was settled back in. The bigger gaps in my CV have magically shrunk over time but to be honest I don't think it matters a year or so down the line.

Comment

I took off 18 months to go travelling between permiedom and contracting. To be honest the only reason I fell into contracting was that was the 1st thing offered to me when I got back.

As long as you've got a decent skillset I don't see it as a problem.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Took 9 months off, wasn't an issue.

Depends on your skillset and experience I think - if you're new to the game with only a handful of years then maybe not the smartest move. I did it before I turned 30, with about 8 years behind me. Done another three 3-4 month breaks since then, and it's never been an problem.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie000 View Post

Longest I took was 1 year (to the day). I put nothing about it on my CV and never mentioned it to anyone. No-one ever asked.

But so what if they do? Being afraid to do what I really want with my life for fear that someone will want me to explain myself is not really why I am in contracting. Freedom to work when I want (read: need the money) is why.

Comment

Took 5 months off travelling. No one ever asked anything.

Comment

A proper contractor should know how to transform a one year sabbatical spent on lascivious activities into a succesfull training and skill consolidation program.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

My friend Tony took a 10 year travel break. His earning power increased when he came back.

Comment

Working...
                X