• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food Prices around Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Prices around Europe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/nfood115.xml

'while Tesco has increased the price of 2.5kilos of Maris Piper potatoes from £1.78 to £2.18.',

potatoes over here (CZ), (not necessarily Maris Piper) are currently 9Czk a kilo, which means 2.5 kilos would be 60p.

How come 2.5 kilos of spuds in the UK costs 2pound18 ?

Maybe a plan b will be to start running trucks of fruit and veg from Central Europe into the UK ?

Milan.

thats because czechs get paid more picking spuds in the UK that in their native country.

closer to home, i noticed that (proper) coffee in the Netherlands is about half the price of the same stuff in the UK
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/nfood115.xml

'while Tesco has increased the price of 2.5kilos of Maris Piper potatoes from £1.78 to £2.18.',

potatoes over here (CZ), (not necessarily Maris Piper) are currently 9Czk a kilo, which means 2.5 kilos would be 60p.

How come 2.5 kilos of spuds in the UK costs 2pound18 ?

Maybe a plan b will be to start running trucks of fruit and veg from Central Europe into the UK ?

Milan.
      I am surprised you are enriching your diet. Are you sure you can afford it? I'd rather stick with the baked beans until you reach another million quid in your bank account.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

he he Franko, morning, how are you ? how is CH and the Emmental cheese ?

point is folks, why is food so much more expensive in the UK than on the mainland ?

Milan.

Comment

point is folks, why is virtually everything so much more expensive in the UK than on the mainland ?

Milan.
          Because earnings are higher?
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

are you sure earnings are higher ?

I'm not

Milan.

Comment

point is folks, why is food so much more expensive in the UK than on the mainland ?

Milan.
              With the current trend of the pound sterling UK will be the cheapest country in Europe.

I still remember in the 80s where it was actually cheaper to come to the UK and buy goods to bring them back to Italy. Ah, but those were the times when Italy's GDP was higher than UK!
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

are you sure earnings are higher ?

I'm not

Milan.
                Yes, I'm quite sure the average salary in the UK is higher than the average salary in CZ, thanks.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  Yes, I'm quite sure the average salary in the UK is higher than the average salary in CZ, thanks.
                  I am also quite confident that the average salary of a CZ worker is higher than Milan's.

Comment

Spartacus,

please allow me to try to ignite the entrepeneurial flame inside you,

is spuds cost in the shops 60p for 2.5kg in CZ and 2,18GBP for the same in the UK, doesn't it make you wonder why there is such a difference ? And the difference may be an opportunity

using your line of thinking, petrol/diesel should be cheaper in CZ than for example Germany, but it's not, it's the same price per litre.

could it be that the supermarkets have monopolised food retail and have free reign over their pricing in the island market place of the UK ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X