• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Detached house prices plummet £270 a day as property market enters slowdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detached house prices plummet £270 a day as property market enters slowdown

Detached house prices plummet £270 a day as property market enters slowdown (AtW's comment: crash, not slowdown you numpties)
    Last updated at 11:07am on 15th January 2008

Owners of detached houses are the biggest losers in the weakening property market, official figures have revealed.

They saw an average of £8,394 wiped off the value of their homes in four weeks late last year. This works out at £270 a day.

The average price of a detached house dropped by 2.4 per cent in November, bringing misery to thousands of families who have recently paid a fortune for a new home.

The figures, published by the Department for Communities and Local Government, showed that most types of houses were hit by the market downturn.

The price of semi-detached houses dropped by 0.3 per cent, flats by 0.6 per cent and bungalows by 0.9 per cent in November.

Many victims of the housing downturn will be in the South-East, where the majority of detached homes are located. (AtW's comment: please post plan B for sasguru in this thread - living in a doghouse sizes cardbox is not an option, he already lives in one)

Yesterday, experts warned homeowners to brace themselves for more price falls.

Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, said: 'Further weakness in the housing market is likely over the coming months.'

Kelvin Davidson, property economist at Capital Economics, added: 'Price falls will become more common.'

His company predicted that prices will fall by 5 per cent this year and 8 per cent next year.

Overall, the Government figures showed that prices fell by £1,865, or £60 a day, to an average of £218,330 across all property types.

The drop in prices was caused by many factors, including a lack of confidence among buyers and banks' reluctance to hand out mortgages.

Research published yesterday, showed that lenders are rushing to axe 100 per cent mortgage deals.

In the past, lenders have been happy to sign off on mortgages worth 100 per cent, or more, on a new home.

But they are clamping down on these to protect themselves from buyers who will be most at risk from a market downturn.

Since the beginning of December, 11 lenders - including big names such as Alliance & Leicester - have begun demanding a bigger deposit from buyers.

David Knight, mortgage analyst at Moneyfacts, the financial information firm, said: 'This more cautious approach of lenders starting to reduce their exposure to the property price fluctuations shows that they have a real concern over the future of the UK housing market.'

Richard Donnell, director of research at property information firm Hometrack, said potential buyers are in short supply.

'There has been a drop in the number of people registering with estate agents,' he went on.

'The rapid turnaround in market conditions means that asking prices will take a hit.'

The Government figures are the latest sign that the property boom is finally over.

Nationwide, Britain's biggest building society, revealed recently that average house prices fell in both November and December.

so house prices are falling AND the pound is falling

good news for Eurozone investors

Milan.

Comment

And why would I need a plan b, you numpty, as I am mortgage free?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The average price of a detached house dropped by 2.4 per cent in November, bringing misery to thousands of families who have recently paid a fortune for a new home.
        Why's that then? How does the value physically affect the house they just bought... unless they wanted to sell it again?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

doesn't help their feel good (or should I better say feel rich) factor though does it Einstein.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Why's that then? How does the value physically affect the house they just bought... unless they wanted to sell it again?
            Because your self-worth is determined by your equity in property, isn't it? A loss of equity could lead to anxiety and depression, which may manifest itseld physically.
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I know it may seem a strange concept in this age of greed and one-upmanship but a house is a place to live. I don’t dance around the kitchen when the value goes up 4% and I certainly don’t cry into my cornflakes when it goes down again.

Get a feckin grip men.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I guess GinngerRogers lives with his mum and dad

Milan.

Comment

I know it may seem a strange concept in this age of greed and one-upmanship but a house is a place to live. I don’t dance around the kitchen when the value goes up 4% and I certainly don’t cry into my cornflakes when it goes down again.
                  Agreed. One of my mates was almost singing a few months ago "I've made so much money on this house...its rocketed in value".

Er....so has every ******* thing else. How are you better off them you were 3 years ago.

Comment

If they lose job (which happens a lot in recession) then might need to travel very far (fuel expensive) or move house. In some case they won't be able to do either, they won't be able to get cheap credit by adding up on their morgage using increased value of their house, and most of all - they will be very depressed and cut spending - now this will hit the economy for six.

Comment

Working...
                    X