• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VB6 - Cobol of the future?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VB6 - Cobol of the future?

Getting a few calls re VB6 gigs, seems everyone is calling themselves a .NET jockey these days so hard to find a VB6 dinosaur.

Plan C perhaps?

Morning Shim,

hope all is going well

how are the little uns ?

Milan.

Comment

Everything fine Mr Benes - blighters making daddy age rapidly! How is yours?

Still perm for now I'm afraid but not bad situation compared to the important things in life.

Just seen VB6 contracts for £550 a day. Hmmm.

Comment

mine are fine thanks but you're bloody knackering but worth it all the same

good luck with your contract hunting

Milan.

Comment

But microsoft are likely to support it for quite a long time to come.

When you consider how slow the other "easy programming" language VB.net is, I suspect there will be demand for some years. .net was written by geeks for geeks who have no grasp of some of the things that matter in a commercial program. Waheee! it's truly OOP, what else matters?
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Correct, Xog.

Also VB6 also runs native, albeit with a runtime dependency.

.NET is a thing on a thing which is bound to have an impact on performance.

I think MS ought to eat their words and release a VB7 (or 6a - whatever) which does not use .NET framework. They won't - but there would be a market for this where the pain and expense of a .NET migration could be avoided.

Some people just want software that does a job, they aren't all .NET evangelists. Pragmatism anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              Correct, Xog.

Also VB6 also runs native, albeit with a runtime dependency.

.NET is a thing on a thing which is bound to have an impact on performance.

I think MS ought to eat their words and release a VB7 (or 6a - whatever) which does not use .NET framework. They won't - but there would be a market for this where the pain and expense of a .NET migration could be avoided.

Some people just want software that does a job, they aren't all .NET evangelists. Pragmatism anyone?
              I know which projects get delivered faster and can do more stuff.. and thats all I care about.. and it is not VB6.

You guys getting into a little VB6 crusade is sooo cute.

Comment

Yep. VB6 is tulip - I'll be the first to admit it.

Point is that there is still a lot of VB6 dev going on through companies inability to move it .NET.

In such cases, a 3rd alternative would be helpful, whereby they can keep their investment in the VB6 chain but move it forward with better (supported) tools.

All that they are offered is migrate or die which seems a little harsh to me.

Note that I'm not really concerned from a developer's perspective - developers adapt to what is in demand.

Comment

Lots of legacy stuff out there, and not everybody wants to rewrite everything. My client is still relying on some 16-bit C++ apps: part of the reason they hired me is that I'm old enough to have experience of that. Who'd have thought Windows 3.1 SDK programming would be in demand?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                    Yep. VB6 is tulip - I'll be the first to admit it.

Point is that there is still a lot of VB6 dev going on through companies inability to move it .NET.

In such cases, a 3rd alternative would be helpful, whereby they can keep their investment in the VB6 chain but move it forward with better (supported) tools.

All that they are offered is migrate or die which seems a little harsh to me.

Note that I'm not really concerned from a developer's perspective - developers adapt to what is in demand.
                    I misunderstood your post then. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X