• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Death is back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Death is back

Link

The bubonic plague, which killed millions of people in medieval England, is making a return in the world, an ecology expert in Liverpool claims.
    Research by Professor Michael Begon at the University of Liverpool revealed the deadly disease, also known as the Black Death, has re-emerged.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

It's never been away.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Link

The bubonic plague, which killed millions of people in medieval England, is making a return in the world, an ecology expert in Liverpool claims.
      Research by Professor Michael Begon at the University of Liverpool revealed the deadly disease, also known as the Black Death, has re-emerged.
      It has never gone away. Inter alia, it occurs a couple of dozen times every summer in SW states of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        It has never gone away. Inter alia, it occurs a couple of dozen times every summer in SW states of the US.
        It also attacks the body in the same way that HIV does, if I remember right from a documentry I saw a couple of years ago. They found a genetic marker which made people immune, or semi immune to the bubonic plague by digging up the bones of people known to survive it and found a mutated gene. They then did the same test to some american guy who seems to be immune to aids and he had the same mutated gene. Considering how long ago this program was on i'm surprised they haven't said more about it, mind you finding out a mutation makes you immune to it and trying to make the mutation in somebody through gene threpy is a whole different ball game....

If anything you could say that HIV is an evolution of bubonic plague.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          The only reason that people think it has gone away is that it causes far fewer deaths than it used to.

It's the same with Tuberculosis (consumption in Victorian times). Still with us but far less of a problem than it used to be.
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            It's the same with Tuberculosis (consumption in Victorian times). Still with us but far less of a problem than it used to be.
            also on the increase in this country- dare I say- as the result of migration

Comment

More than likely due to migration. The black death in medieval times was only an epidemic (apart from the fact that they didn't know how to cure or prevent it) because people already carrying the problem fled the infected areas into untouched areas and therefore spreading the problem. Not possible these days with the stricter medical screening going on I wouldn't have thought.
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                More than likely due to migration. The black death in medieval times was only an epidemic (apart from the fact that they didn't know how to cure or prevent it) because people already carrying the problem fled the infected areas into untouched areas and therefore spreading the problem. Not possible these days with the stricter medical screening going on I wouldn't have thought.
                Was talking about TB there!

Comment

No - because inoculation stopped years ago.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    No - because inoculation stopped years ago.
                    Why did it stop? .... and then why might we want to restart it

Comment

Working...
                    X