• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fahrenheit 451

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fahrenheit 451

Recently re-read this after a gap of many years. IMHO better than 1984 at predicting what we have become.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Never read it so can't comment.

Comment

Was written in 1953. Foretells a world where books are forbidden because they contain real knowledge. Instead the population are kept "happy" by the media and spin. Sound familiar?

Reason I read it again is I came across an article in the property press that suggested that estate agents were advising sellers that books in properties put buyers off because they were "old-fashioned".
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just reading Future Shock, written in the 1970's also on the button about many things.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Just reading Future Shock, written in the 1970's also on the button about many things.
          Is that Alvin Toffler - read that a while ago.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Is that Alvin Toffler - read that a while ago.
            Yes, that's it, he talkes about changes in the way groups in society communicate caused by computers, Facebook anyone.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              estate agents were advising sellers that books in properties put buyers off because they were "old-fashioned".
              I may be in the minority but that would certainly not put me off. I would have thought books would convery an image of peace and tranquility in a home. I have visions of building my own library at home one day. Books are one thing I never get rid of.

Comment

books becoming illegal?! so thats why they have stuck a coffee shop inside my local waterstones....the evil bastards
                "I'm more of a warrior than you'll ever be. I believe in the class war. I believe in the battle of the sexes. I believe in my tribe. I believe in the righteous, inteligent clued-up section of society against the brain-dead moronic masses as well as the mediocre, soulless bourgeoisie. I believe in punk rock. In northern soul. In acid house. In mod. In rock and roll. I also believe in pre commercial righteous, rap and hip hop. Thats my manifesto"

Comment

Yes you don't have to burn the decent books to stop people reading them.
                  Simply stock dross instead.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Big brother contestant biographies, celebrity chef cookbooks, chick lit with pictures of champage bottles/high heel shoe/lipstick etc on the front, andy mcnabb "novels"
                    "I'm more of a warrior than you'll ever be. I believe in the class war. I believe in the battle of the sexes. I believe in my tribe. I believe in the righteous, inteligent clued-up section of society against the brain-dead moronic masses as well as the mediocre, soulless bourgeoisie. I believe in punk rock. In northern soul. In acid house. In mod. In rock and roll. I also believe in pre commercial righteous, rap and hip hop. Thats my manifesto"

Comment

Working...
                    X