• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independent schools under threat from Liebour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independent schools under threat from Liebour

Independent schools forced to be 'more open'

Labour's class warfare in independent schools

Many of today's outstanding private schools were once direct-grant grammar schools, offering places on merit to children of all backgrounds, with those whose families could not afford the fees being subsidised by local authorities.

The direct grant schools were abolished by Harold Wilson's government, whereupon most of them became fully independent. Then a Conservative government created the assisted places scheme, which made it possible once again for large numbers of poorer children to benefit from a private education.

One of the first acts of Tony Blair's government was the abolition of that system. To help rectify this loss of opportunity, private schools sponsored private bursaries of their own.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

There you go, believing everything you read in the Daily Telegraph again. Independent schools are safe with us.

Comment

Little this bunch of clueless fookwits have done before has made me as mad as this blatant piece of class war, a deliberate act to vandalise the only bit of education still working.

My instinct is to wish the independents give up their charitable status and tell the government for swing.

Unfortunately I personally would be hit by the 17.5% increase
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Unfortunately I personally would be hit by the 17.5% increase
        Then pretend you are a catholic and send your children to the London Oratory.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post
          Then pretend you are a catholic and send your children to the London Oratory.
          Would it help with admissions if I were PM?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Would it help with admissions if I were PM?
            My government promotes equal opportunity for all.

Comment

I have a better description for GB

'Lurker not a fighter'
              Should read:
              'Bottler not a fighter'

Comment

look lads,

does it really matter

feck's sake, what really matters is the attitude of the parents

state school comprehensive down the road or the most expensive private school if the parents aren't doing their part the child is still going to be a duffer

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  look lads,

does it really matter

flip's sake, what really matters is the attitude of the parents

state school comprehensive down the road or the most expensive private school if the parents aren't doing their part the child is still going to be a duffer

Milan.
                  I believe Mr Milan that the issue is that in a private skewel the parents actually give more of a damn than those in comps because it is costing an arm & a leg to send them there.

Meanwhile the Pikey family see it as a birthright that attendance & good behaviour is optional

...also between you and me, some of the people posting on this board went to comps... & it's bleedin obvious who they are innit!

Comment

the impression I got, from the Independent Schools Council Statement, was that they are not too worried as pretty much all private schools offer bursaries, hardship funds, etc., and this would be sufficient to satisfy the requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X