• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bangernomics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangernomics

Being tight and not liking to spend money on depreciating assets (after a long history in my youth of draining my cash on impractical sports classics), I'm always looking for ways to save money on motoring. The methods I've come up with are these:

1) Buy a banger (for about 1K) and drive it till it stops. Problem with this is it's luck of draw. If you get a good un, it goes for years, a bad one could die after a week.
    2) Lease a small car - I've seen ads for small city cars on PCH for not more that £100 a month, which is peanuts and basically fixed cost motoring as the car is under guarantee.
    3) But a new small car outright and flog it after 2 years with a years guarantee still on it and FSH to minimise depreciation.

I favour the latter, but I've worked out the 2nd option might be slightly cheaper.

Any other thoughts?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

The idea of paying 800-1000 like the A3 chappie just hurts me ..
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Option 1 only ever works if you never ever ever spend any money on it at all except to put petrol/ oil in it & in your case an allowance for Magic Tree car air fresheners , but given your permie status is probably right for your persona

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Being tight and not liking to spend money on depreciating assets (after a long history in my youth of draining my cash on impractical sports classics), I'm always looking for ways to save money on motoring. The methods I've come up with are these:

1) Buy a banger (for about 1K) and drive it till it stops. Problem with this is it's luck of draw. If you get a good un, it goes for years, a bad one could die after a week.
        2) Lease a small car - I've seen ads for small city cars on PCH for not more that £100 a month, which is peanuts and basically fixed cost motoring as the car is under guarantee.
        3) But a new small car outright and flog it after 2 years with a years guarantee still on it and FSH to minimise depreciation.

I favour the latter, but I've worked out the 2nd option might be slightly cheaper.

Any other thoughts?
        I also favour the latter.

However.... I would not buy from a main dealer - take a look at autotrader, and get one from an internet comapny instead. My fiesta diesel with aircon and all of that was only £8K, should be over £10 from a dealer!

Comment

Buy PUG 307, blue diesel 2L. It's not ordinary one but of future historical importance - only £19,999. for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Option 1 only ever works if you never ever ever spend any money on it at all except to put petrol/ oil in it & in your case an allowance for Magic Tree car air fresheners , but given your permie status is probably right for your persona

HTH
            I'm a permie who earns more than most contractors, so money isn't an issue.

HTH
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

HTH

Bedsit above a kebab shop and Aygo.

Do you knit your own underwear to save money?

Comment

HTH
                Of course you do.

Threaded! One of your privates has escaped again!

Comment

Why do you need a car at all? You are in London aren't you? A combination of buses, trains, bike and taxis works for me.

There are also those zipcars, but I've never used one and prefer taking taxis to driving now!
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    Why do you need a car at all? You are in London aren't you? A combination of buses, trains, bike and taxis works for me.

There are also those zipcars, but I've never used one and prefer taking taxis to driving now!
                    I agree. No supermarkets in walking distance though.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X