• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many designers do we have here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many designers do we have here?

Not systems, architecture or anything like that - Visuals. Trained web/graphic designers, or those with experience/competence in this area, and especially experience of usability issues. Those able to string a user interface together that doesn't look ham-fisted, that conforms to acceptable standards.

Just curious really.
    I'm an expert.
    12.50%
    I'm capable.
    20.83%
    Only my clothes are designer.
    33.33%
    I outsource to AndyW.
    33.33%

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Not systems, architecture or anything like that - Visuals. Trained web/graphic designers, or those with experience/competence in this area, and especially experience of usability issues. Those able to string a user interface together that doesn't look ham-fisted, that conforms to acceptable standards.

Just curious really.
    I can use PowerPoint.

HTH
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I work in the "digital media" industry, mostly as a PM or consultant type, so yeah I have a keen interest in all things web and interface design...
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Xen, admit it - you ticked no. 3, didn't you.

Powerpoint. Let's, for the sake of argument, leave MS office out of this.

Comment

You need another option, I chose i'm capable because I can knock together a bit of HTML and make something look OK (IMHO) but i'm not really a web designer. I also am not Andyw and I don't wear designer clothes...

Comment

Loughboro' Uni. Masters in Engineering Design.
            Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design. Interdisciplinary
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Amazing what you can pick up on e-bay these days.....

Does one of them look like Jesus, or the Virgin Mary?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                <sniff><sniff>Definitely something bovine...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  You need another option, I chose i'm capable because I can knock together a bit of HTML and make something look OK (IMHO) but i'm not really a web designer. I also am not Andyw and I don't wear designer clothes...
                  If you can write properly-formed markup with clean styles used for positioning, and it's backed up with clean, optimised graphics - and the pages are tidy and captivating, readable and correctly ordered - then you're capable.
                  If you can design so the site's consistently a pleasure to intuitively navigate, and truly useful, and meet the above, then you're more than capable. Knit it to any CMS with fluidity in the pages and cross-platform/browser support, use alternative styles, integrate AJAX/Flex and dynamically generate said content while maintaining accessibility levels to P1 & P2, then you're expert.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    If you can write properly-formed markup with clean styles used for positioning, and it's backed up with clean, optimised graphics - and the pages are tidy and captivating, readable and correctly ordered - then you're capable.
                    If you can design so the site's consistently a pleasure to intuitively navigate, and truly useful, and meet the above, then you're more than capable. Knit it to any CMS with fluidity in the pages and cross-platform/browser support, use alternative styles, integrate AJAX/Flex and dynamically generate said content while maintaining accessibility levels to P1 & P2, then you're expert.
                    I can centralise and underline things in Word.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X