• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

job titles on your business cards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

job titles on your business cards?

Hi all,

What's your opinion on what job title to put on a business card as a contractor (I'm a system developer). I've got my own limited Company which means I'm also the managing director of the company. Is it appropriate to put Managing Director / System consultant as a job title? Maybe putting both titles on a business card look rather confusing and may even scare people off. Maybe I should get two sets of cards, one as a Managing Director and another one as a System developer.

Thanks
    Swedstar

Originally posted by swedstar View Post
    Hi all,

What's your opinion on what job title to put on a business card as a contractor (I'm a system developer). I've got my own limited Company which means I'm also the managing director of the company. Is it appropriate to put Managing Director / System consultant as a job title? Maybe putting both titles on a business card look rather confusing and may even scare people off. Maybe I should get two sets of cards, one as a Managing Director and another one as a System developer.

Thanks
    Swedstar
    How about 'Nerd' or 'Geek' Saves on the printing costs too.

Seriously, I would not put a job title as you are not in a job like a permie. Why not just put name, director, limited co name and put on the card what you actually do: system development.
    Last edited by Denny; 20 January 2008, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by swedstar View Post
      Hi all,

Thanks
      Swedstar
      Banjo player. It earns more respect.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I go for "Consultant" because it's vague enough to cover anything. If its your skills as a systems consultant that you're selling, use that title. Potential clients will be thinking "I want a systems consultant", not "I want a managing director".

Comment

I think you're quite right thunderlizard. I shouldn't overcomplicate things by having two titles and since I'll be chasing work as a "consultant" (whatever that can be) it's definitely vague enough to cover all the aspects of work I'll carry out.

Cheers
          Swedstar

Comment

I put Managing Director on mine, will always be true while my company is trading.

Comment

Consultant
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                Banjo player. It earns more respect.
                Yeah, but in a Deliverance kind of way!!
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

The problem with using the term 'consultant' is that you need to actually deliver consultancy services - go it, ascertain a problem, advise on the scope of the issues or work needed doing and write a report for senior management and exit from the company without actually doing the work needed. If you are doing the executing like an interim employed manager/engaged contractor would (actually doing the work that needs to be done to make it happen requiring you to be on site or working from your office - developing the system or programming etc.) then you are not strictly speaking a consultant.

Consultants earn big bucks, interim mgr/engaged contractors to do the hands on work, much less.

You need to be sure exactly what you are offering and where your expertise lies, otherwise your potential clients will not have a clue what your company is really about or what they should be prepared to pay. Being vague using a catch all 'title' is not the way to go.
                  Last edited by Denny; 21 January 2008, 14:06.

Comment

Director
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X