• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris

I'm going to Paris for Easter and a few days, can anyone please suggest which district to stay in, I get very confused...

Thanks
    L

Who ya going with Luce?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
      I'm going to Paris for Easter and a few days, can anyone please suggest which district to stay in, I get very confused...

Thanks
      L
      1. find St Michel metro station on a map: that is about the centre of most places that a normal tourist will want to go to on a visit.

2. beside that is the Left Bank alias Latin Quarter alias Quartier Latin, say South/up the hill to the Pantheon, West/downstream to the Pont des Arts (bridge across Sein to Louvre), East/upstream to Mauber/Mutualite metro or thereabouts. The core area of this around St Michel is very touristy but Parisians go there too. Plenty of hotels here.

3. the Marais is more trendy, or at least it was 10 years ago.

4. Arrondissements 1-9 should all be OK. 17 is OK but not interesting. 14 is a continuation of the Quartier Latin but is a bit off-centre. 11 is the Marais.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        1. find St Michel metro station on a map: that is about the centre of most places that a normal tourist will want to go to on a visit.

2. beside that is the Left Bank alias Latin Quarter alias Quartier Latin, say South/up the hill to the Pantheon, West/downstream to the Pont des Arts (bridge across Sein to Louvre), East/upstream to Mauber/Mutualite metro or thereabouts. The core area of this around St Michel is very touristy but Parisians go there too.

3. the Marais is more trendy, or at least it was 10 years ago.

4. Arrondissements 1-9 should all be OK. 17 is OK but not interesting. 14 is a continuation of the Quartier Latin but is a bit off-centre. 11 is the Marais.
        Which are the areas best avoided ?

Comment

We stayed in a best western hotel which was right by the Louvre and the metro. Really central and quite reasonable. Would go there again.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Which are the areas best avoided ?
            All the others

OK, 10 & 18-20 are immigrant areas, more fun if you are a resident but less on beaten track for a tourist (it's where I went for Patak's). 12 is old dockland: some rough areas, some done-up e.g. Bercy stadium.

13 is Chinatown but also lots of social housing, and railway yards for E/SE.

15 is normal inexpensive (relatively!) housing, OK but of no interest to a tourist. A couple of repertory cinemas, and the Metro lost property office.

16 is Belgravia. 17 see 15.

Espere que ceci t'aide....

Comment

Be warned there are two metro stations called "Charles de Gaulle"... one is the airport and the other isn't.

In fact it couldn’t be much further from the airport…
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Be warned there are two metro stations called "Charles de Gaulle"... one is the airport and the other isn't.

I often drive by CdG on the way up from the Med... shame Paris doesn't have a proper M25esque ring road

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I often drive by CdG on the way up from the Med... shame Paris doesn't have a proper M25esque ring road
                  The Francilienne (A104)? Not jammed like the M25 though.

If you want something closer in, but not as close as the Peripherique, there is the A86 (on the E side).
                  Last edited by expat; 21 January 2008, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

"Aeroport Charles de Gaulle" on the RER; "Charles de Gaulle Etoile" on the Metro, at the Arc de Triomphe.

Comment

Working...
                    X