• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to Permie - Have been a contractor too long... ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract to Permie - Have been a contractor too long... ?

(not entirely too sure where to post this, so mods, please feel free to move to maybe light relief?)

folks, have been playing with the idea of doing the unthinkable and going to the dark side (lots of reasons, too boring to mention...) anyway, keep falling short at the post because;
    a. am always asking on the high side of the roles
    b. potential employer reports to pimp that i've been a contractor too long and they're worried that i would bunk off at the first chance

has anyone come across this? is this a genuine concern or just a nice way to fob me off?

Wilmslow will be along presently to give you some tips . . .

Comment

You are damaged goods. Barge pole and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
        You're presuming he'll actually be able to make the decision whether to hit the submit button or not...
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          No he won't. You are Wilmslow in disguise and I claim my £5.

Comment

Originally posted by sli_gryn View Post
            b. potential employer reports to pimp that i've been a contractor too long and they're worried that i would bunk off at the first chance
            Probably a fair concern; you obviously have to do more convincing at the interview - possibly toss in things like "stable income due to family commitments" or some such loblocks should do it
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Probably a fair concern; you obviously have to do more convincing at the interview - possibly toss in things like "stable income due to family commitments" or some such loblocks should do it
              hey, i'd like to get that far so i can explain it. at present, can't even get passed the hr team...

(now am beginning to convince myself that was prob a nice fob off...?)

Comment

I had a dream the other night where I was offered and accepted two permie jobs.

Too much cheese, obviously.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

(not entirely too sure where to post this, so mods, please feel free to move to maybe light relief?)

folks, have been playing with the idea of doing the unthinkable and going to the dark side (lots of reasons, too boring to mention...) anyway, keep falling short at the post because;
                  a. am always asking on the high side of the roles

has anyone come across this? is this a genuine concern or just a nice way to fob me off?

Wilmslow here....

Yes, I am going permie.

The reason for me is an interesting project with a huge firm that needs a lot of educating around quality, which is an area I am wanting to focus on.

The permie rate is pro rata what my normal daily rate would be, hence not really any worse off in that respect. I am also currently on a fantastic daily rate and managed to swing an extension before going permie at the end of the extension.

I was going to resist, but, given contractor friends who are in finance (my roots) are now out on their ears given the credit crunch, I felt that this was the right option for stability, and for the experiences I will be getting over the next couple of years.

Hence, for me, it seems to be the right move. There are only so many renewals you can get before you have to bite or move on.

Look long and hard at your reasons for going permie.

Personally, I cannot risk a few months out of work (says he spending £12K on a new car for the journey!!)

Comment

hey, i'd like to get that far so i can explain it. at present, can't even get passed the hr team...

(now am beginning to convince myself that was prob a nice fob off...?)
                    You have to convince the agency - then it's up to them to convince HR.

I've managed the trip to the dark side twice. Once to get into .net the other to become a pointed-headed boss ( which if done properly, is almost as fun as contracting ).
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X