• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Soviet Show Of Strength

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soviet Show Of Strength

Cities, buildings falling down
    Ideal homes falling down

These pictures I see on the wall
    Timeless leaders stand so tall
    Assassin in a hit and run

Asia steals a new born son

Evacuees and refugees
    Presidents and monarchies

Travel round
    I travel round
    Decadence and pleasure towns
    Tragedies,luxuries,statues,parks and galleries

Europe has a language problem
    Talk, talk, talk, talk, talking on
    In central Europe

Men are marching
    Marching on and marching on

Love songs playing in the restaurants
    Airport playing "Bi Some Lo"

Travel round
    I travel round

Decadence and pleasure town

Tragedies,luxuries,statues,parks and galleries.....

It was one of the highlights of the Soviet calendar - a chance for the communist superpower to show off its military might and for ordinary citizens to check that their gerontocratic leaders were still alive, perched on top of Lenin's tomb.

But 17 years after the last hammer and sickle tanks trundled through Red Square, the Kremlin is to revive on May 9 the Soviet-era practice of parading its big weaponry, the Russian defence ministry confirmed yesterday. As well as 6,000 marching soldiers, it will show off its latest tanks and rockets - such as the new intercontinental ballistic missile, Topol-M.

Under the plan adopted by the president, land and air military equipment will be involved in the parade on Red Square," General Yuri Solovyov said. The parade will include the new S-300 missile defence system that Russia has just sold to Iran.

The decision to revive this symbol of the cold war is likely to provoke criticism from opposition parties, which accuse Vladimir Putin of turning Russia into a pastiche of the Soviet Union. The parade might also raise a few quizzical eyebrows inside the British embassy in Moscow. Last week, Russia closed the British Council's two regional offices in St Petersburg and Yekaterinburg using what UK officials described as "classic KGB tactics".

The British ambassador to Moscow, Tony Brenton, compared today's Russia to the Soviet Union after officers from its domestic intelligence agency - the FSB - interrogated British Council workers.

Putin has already shown his fondness for Soviet emblems, such as updating the Soviet national anthem. One observer said yesterday that the Kremlin was using symbols from the past to recreate a "new national idea" of Russian greatness.

Nikolay Petrov, scholar-in-residence at the Carnegie Centre in Moscow, said: "It's an ideological concept. The point is to show that Russia was great before the revolution, was great during Soviet times and to say we are restoring its greatness."

The Soviet Union's military parades - to celebrate victory over the Nazis on May 9 and the Bolshevik revolution on November 7 - were watched by millions live on TV. Combat vehicles were last paraded in Red Square on November 7 1990.

Looks like Brown wimped out of giving marching orders to 34 spies. And come to think of it - I considered voting Labour if they upped this to 100

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Looks like Brown wimped out of giving marching orders to 34 spies. And come to think of it - I considered voting Labour if they upped this to 100

He decided not to send those 'commie' New Labour MPs back to Russia after all

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        such as the new intercontinental ballistic missile, Topol-M.

Topol-M.........

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I can't see the point of getting rid of people you KNOW are spies. They'll get replaced by people that you don't know are spies and you'll be worse off.

Still, I suppose it gives the secret services something to do
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

Travel round
            I travel round
            Isn't that a Simple Minds song.... or maybe they were into plagiarism ?
            Kneel before Bod

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
              Topol-M.........
              "If I were a rich man,
              Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle BOOOOOOOOOM
              All day long I'd biddy biddy burn."
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X