• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conundrum.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conundrum.....

I estimated a problem would take 3 weeks to correct. Client was happy with this as it was high priority and had been juggled through various people looking for a solution... most people had said it would need a complete overhaul and take at least a month.
    Turns out I was wrong.. due to good luck and my sublime skills... I fixed it in 30 seconds.
    Do I now.. show off my brilliance and impress mgmt.. but possibly peeve off the permies who said it would be a big job.. or
    kick back and relax for 3 weeks and then deliver on time...
    I am moving towards a mixture of the 2... deliver it in 2 weeks... be a week early.. and still get 2 weeks of relaxation and chance to get ahead on some other things.
    The risk with my proposed approach is if they ask for to many details on how I fixed it.. and then realise it was 30 sec work ... but I think I can fudge that by putting it down to a lot of up front analysis to discover the solution which turned out to be elegant and little impact.

What would you chaps do??

I dont think client mgmt peeps will care as they "just wanted the F7*&^ing thing fixed"...

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I estimated a problem would take 3 weeks to correct. Client was happy with this as it was high priority and had been juggled through various people looking for a solution... most people had said it would need a complete overhaul and take at least a month.
    Turns out I was wrong.. due to good luck and my sublime skills... I fixed it in 30 seconds. Do I now.. show off my brilliance and impress mgmt.. but possibly peeve off the permies who said it would be a big job.. or
    kick back and relax for 3 weeks and then deliver on time...
    I am moving towards a mixture of the 2... deliver it in 2 weeks... be a week early.. and still get 2 weeks of relaxation and chance to get ahead on some other things.
    The risk with my proposed approach is if they ask for to many details on how I fixed it.. and then realise it was 30 sec work ... but I think I can fudge that by putting it down to a lot of up front analysis to discover the solution which turned out to be elegant and little impact.

What would you chaps do??

I dont think client mgmt peeps will care as they "just wanted the F7*&^ing thing fixed"...

Due to my inability to estimate and lack of knowledge regarding the scope of the problem - Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Due to my inability to estimate and lack of knowledge regarding the scope of the problem - Shirley?
      Permies estimated it would take 6 weeks, I thought think they are all idiots, so halved it... but made sure I put a few caveats in....

Comment

fart around for a while and then, when you get bored (which you will), tell said client job done...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Pretend you're working like a demon ( a few swear words and a face like thunder help), bill for an hour or two extra every day for the 3 week period. On the last day bill for 10 hours. Next morning change completely and come in with a smile on your face and a triumphal look.

You end up the hero of the hour AND your bank balance looks healthier. Its a win-win.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You end up the hero of the hour AND your bank balance looks healthier. Its a win-win.

it's

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Pretend you're working like a demon ( a few swear words and a face like thunder help), bill for an hour or two extra every day for the 3 week period. On the last day bill for 10 hours. Next morning change completely and come in with a smile on your face and a triumphal look.

^^^ What he said.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Test, test and test some more to make sure you really have fixed it. I would then hand it in a week ahead of schedule after doing as sasguru suggests

Comment

Of course the flip side is that now the problem is fixed, you run the risk of one of the permies discovering this fact and either;

a) Taking the credit for themselves by announcing the 'fix' even though they didn't do it.

or

b) Exposing you as a charlatan when you constantly provide an update of 'in progress' whenever asked about it.

Personally I would spend the next few weeks testing the b*ll*x out of said fix.

Comment

I've been in a similar situation several times, altho perhaps not this extreme!

Under promise, over deliver is a great way to impress but only in moderation.

They might start to expect you to fix absolutely everything in 30 seconds each if you 'impress' too much and when you can't they will say 'well, you did it before; you must be slacking now'
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X