• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension deficits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension deficits

Of course with stock markets crashing right left and centre, the small pension surplus built up by most companies over the last few years will tumble back into the red.

Soup kitchens anyone?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Soup kitchens anyone?
    aha Plan B! SB I need a potato peeler.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Of course with stock markets crashing right left and centre, the small pension surplus built up by most companies over the last few years will tumble back into the red.

Soup kitchens anyone?
      I've just abandoned my plan to put a big chunk of cash into a PP to offset some CT mainly because it probably wouldn't be worth it in the current economic climate. I want to have my cash available to use in case I need it.

My accountant agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        I've just abandoned my plan to put a big chunk of cash into a PP to offset some CT mainly because it probably wouldn't be worth it in the current economic climate. I want to have my cash available to use in case I need it.

My accountant agreed.
        Oh, I get it, you'd rather pay tax on the offchance you'd lose the money anyway...

Hmmmm, joined up thinking at its best...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Oh, I get it, you'd rather pay tax on the offchance you'd lose the money anyway...

Hmmmm, joined up thinking at its best...
          In a boom, it wouldn't make sense, I agree, but the extra cash I was going to put into a pension is going to be far more important to me in the short term (as I don't have a huge amount of residuals left in my account) during this bumpy economic period we're experiencing than just an extra grand or so CT I'd have to pay. It was a calculted decision and I think the economics are screaming at us all to say 'cash is king.' Also I've tied up a fair amount of my own cash buying a mortgage free property last month, and I don't want to sell that because I expect it to do well in terms of capital gain in the next 2-4years and potential rental income when I've done the place up.

You can only criticise someone's lack of joined up thinking when you are in possession of all the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            In a boom, it wouldn't make sense, I agree, but the extra cash I was going to put into a pension is going to be far more important to me in the short term (as I don't have a huge amount of residuals left in my account) during this bumpy economic period we're experiencing than just an extra grand or so CT I'd have to pay. It was a calculted decision and I think the economics are screaming at us all to say 'cash is king.' Also I've tied up a fair amount of my own cash buying a mortgage free property last month, and I don't want to sell that because I expect it to do well in terms of capital gain in the next 2-4years and potential rental income when I've done the place up.

You can only criticise someone's lack of joined up thinking when you are in possession of all the facts.
            A question, why did you bother making your orginal post?

It's pointless, it's banal, oh, I forgot, it's Denny!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              A question, why did you bother making your orginal post?

It's pointless, it's banal, oh, I forgot, it's Denny!!!
              Why did you bother answering it?

If you've forgotten me already, then you must be a goldfish.

Comment

Working...
              X