• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Australia or New Zealand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Australia or New Zealand

Hey guys,

I'm off traveling in a few months, and Ive been considering working out in either NZ or OZ...my situation would be on a working holiday visa in each (which I believe means you can work in any job you want just not for the whole year...)

My question is how easy it is to work in either NZ or OZ as a contractor? how complicated to the tax rules get both other there and back here considering Ive been contracting here since August?

Any comments or pointers would be great, as Ive been reading for an hour or so and I'm sill none the wiser!

Cheers
    K

as an ex-antipodean, hit this site... www.ato.gov.au (get an ABN) and have a look at setting yourself up as a business and doing gst (oz equivalent of vat). if you go through an agency, you become, essentially a 'casual employee' of the agency and then work through them.

what's your area of expertise?

Comment

There is a big demand for props and other rugby players
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        There is a big demand for props and other rugby players
        Not in NZ there isnt, we have to export all the old ones to the retirement league in England to play social rugby in the quaint little Guiness premiership.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
          Not in NZ there isnt, we have to export all the old ones to the retirement league in England to play social rugby in the quaint little Guiness premiership.
          inferior

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            Yes, then you can import some fresh ones from the Pacific Islands...
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Yes, then you can import some fresh ones from the Pacific Islands...
              At the risk of being mistaken for a kiwi this is a tired argument not born out by the facts. In the last world cup I think 6 of the 30 players in the NZ squad were born in either Samoa, Fiji or Tonga. All went to at least secondary school in NZ.

Lesley Vainikolo on the other hand.......

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                At the risk of being mistaken for a kiwi this is a tired argument not born out by the facts. In the last world cup I think 6 of the 30 players in the NZ squad were born in either Samoa, Fiji or Tonga. All went to at least secondary school in NZ.

Lesley Vainikolo on the other hand.......
                Is a good old fashined Englishman
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by KrisM82 View Post
                  Hey guys,

I'm off traveling in a few months, and Ive been considering working out in either NZ or OZ...my situation would be on a working holiday visa in each (which I believe means you can work in any job you want just not for the whole year...)

My question is how easy it is to work in either NZ or OZ as a contractor? how complicated to the tax rules get both other there and back here considering Ive been contracting here since August?

Any comments or pointers would be great, as Ive been reading for an hour or so and I'm sill none the wiser!

Cheers
                  K
                  In Australia you need a Ltd Co. and a Tax File no.

In NZ you can be a sole prop. with just an IRD no. no need of a Ltd Co. I've worked in NZ and Australia and I found the tax laws in NZ to be much better.

It is of course legalised theft in both countries!

Sydney has a reasonable banking/fin sector, mostly centred around the harbour and you could end up with a gorgeous view at work. At home, you will need a bit of cash, Kirribilli is pretty, a little village opposite the Opera House, with a few cafes, restaurants, bakery, fruit shop and one pub. Canberra has loads of work for contractors, it's all mostly public sector, and you usually need a security clearance, try to get a clearance here before you go, otherwise it can take six months. Canberra isn't very exciting but it isn't too far from the snow and there is always very well paid work.

I've only worked in Wellington in NZ and it was okay, the weather was rubbish, constant wind and rain, much more miserable than London, except the landscape is stunning, Wellington like Sydney has a beautiful harbour and it isn't unreasonable to live around there. The NZ public service, despite being under a labor government is quite forward thinking and progressive.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Is a good old fashined Englishman

Comment

Working...
                    X