• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearence - How?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearence - How?

Hello Everyone,

I've just had a call from an agency regarding a contract working for Dell. The only thing that's prevented my cv going forward is my lack of security clearence.

Now...as a contractor, previously with BC(E) (I think!) security clearence...how do I go about getting security cleared so that I can start taking contract opportunities? I see that so many contracts require security clearence of some kind, it's pretty frustrating.

Does anybody know how to go about getting security cleared?

Many thanks

DM

Originally posted by DogMachine10 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've just had a call from an agency regarding a contract working for Dell. The only thing that's prevented my cv going forward is my lack of security clearence.

Now...as a contractor, previously with BC(E) (I think!) security clearence...how do I go about getting security cleared so that I can start taking contract opportunities? I see that so many contracts require security clearence of some kind, it's pretty frustrating.

Does anybody know how to go about getting security cleared?

Many thanks

DM
    Point them at the new regs as detailed on the PCG web site. Being SC cleared can no longer be used (unless it is a realy short ter contract) as a prerequisit.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      Point them at the new regs as detailed on the PCG web site. Being SC cleared can no longer be used (unless it is a realy short ter contract) as a prerequisit.
      In reality 90% of agents will chuck your resume in the bin if you aren't security cleared. Just keep plugging away and hope you get lucky.

You cannot get yourself cleared as you need a sponsor, and only a company that is working on something that needs security clearance will be able to sponsor you (catch 22).

Also HMG changed the wording on the MOD site a few months back. Previously it said that not having security clearance cannot be used as a reason to refuse you a job and you were able to report agencies that refused to represent you if you weren't security cleared, however they removed all mention of this. May be a mistake, may be showing thier true colours who knows. I have never heard of an agency being taken to task for not representing somebody who is not security cleared.

(Also I haven't looked at the MOD site for a while so the text may have come back now)

Comment

Guys,

Many thanks for your information...it's extremely concise and will bear it in mind. As the Lone Gunman has pointed out, agencies should still be able to put you forward for these roles as the employer.

I've since spoken to my Father who works with the MOD...he assures me that the MOD/government employers understand that it takes a while to get cleared and will ensure that you can still perform your role until the clearence is granted.

Thanks again.

Comment

Why would you need security clearence to work at DELL ??

Normally it is only for Secret MOD projects

Comment

Originally posted by SteveV View Post
            Why would you need security clearence to work at DELL ??

Normally it is only for Secret MOD projects
            Lots of Government departments require some level of security clearance....unless of course you are a cleaner with no right to work or remain in the UK.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Dell are doing some large-scale work with regards to DII apparently.

Comment

I think I would fail a security clearance... prob when they ask if you have ever been to Afganistan and met the Taliban....

So I dont even bother.

Comment

Originally posted by DogMachine10 View Post
                  Guys,

Many thanks for your information...it's extremely concise and will bear it in mind. As the Lone Gunman has pointed out, agencies should still be able to put you forward for these roles as the employer.

I've since spoken to my Father who works with the MOD...he assures me that the MOD/government employers understand that it takes a while to get cleared and will ensure that you can still perform your role until the clearence is granted.

Thanks again.
                  Employers do, it's the agent that is the problem. A lot of them will just not send forward the resume of anybody who isn't security cleared. If this is the case the employer doesn't even get to see your resume.

Comment

Exactly right...agencies just want bums on seats. So that's frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X