• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Higher Boredom...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Higher Boredom...

BCS and the IET have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) which will see the two bodies work more closely in the future.

One of the main elements is the joint development and promotion of a professional status across the IT profession. Part of this means that, in the future, the BCS and IET will work together so that at some point the IET will be able to confer CITP status to its members who are eligible.

Commenting on the agreement, David Clarke, BCS chief executive, said: 'This is a major step for both organisations and demonstrates our commitment to professionalism for the IT industry. The MoU will allow us to work more closely together for the benefit of our members and the profession as a whole.

'Our decision to make CITP much more widely available is a major step for the BCS; in fact, an unprecedented step for a chartered body. However, our trustees have taken this decision in the interests of the profession and see it as an important step towards achieving the aims of the BCS professionalism in IT initiative. IET is the ideal partner to help us to reach this goal.'

As well as cross-promotion work, the MoU also supports the opportunities for the BCS and IET to work collaboratively in continuing their work generating and disseminating knowledge across the engineering, technology and IT professional communities, conducting research into the concerns of those communities, issuing joint policy statements and working together on public engagement issues.

Top tip if you are selecting candidates.

Bin any CV's where the applicant is a member of the BCS.

Pompous @rses the lot of 'em.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      What he said.

But then, some of us are already members of the IET.

Stick that in your "P"CG pipe and smoke it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Top tip if you are selecting candidates.

Bin any CV's where the applicant is a member of the BCS.

Pompous @rses the lot of 'em.

HTH
        Many moons ago when I was last in permie land with a big consultancy I took a similar approach to all applicants with MBAs. Come to think of it, it was actually anybody who had better qualifications than me.

Comment

Does the IET discuss anything other than the status of Engineers.
          I think this debate goes back about 50 years.

I think I was finally thrown out the IET for not paying my dues. What I find amusing is the title "Eur Eng" which IET members proudly announce, except that there are less than 100 people in Europe that know what this is. The title Eur Eng or was it Eur Ing was to raise the status of Engineers.

The funny thing is that the status of Engineers is a problem only Britain because the word "Engineer" also means Technician, I mean in the end it is just a "language" problem.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yep,

In Europe being an engineer is important, in Britian it means that you mend washing machines. Oh and being a consultant means that you sit at a desk in the travel agent and sell package holidays to chavs.

tim

Comment

Working...
            X