• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homes underthe hammer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homes underthe hammer

Being benched at the moment I was watching this prog on the telly and an IT contractor was on.
    Was it any of you lot?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Being benched at the moment I was watching this prog on the telly and an IT contractor was on.
    Was it any of you lot?
    I cannot tell a lie - it was andyw

Comment

It was me.

Spartacus.

Comment

If it was the one featuring Chequers then it was me.

Threaded.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I did actually look to bid on one of the properties that was featured a few months ago.

A guy who owned a 4 story house had separated it out into 4 (very tiny) one bed apartments and was looking to sell off three of them. These sales took place 18 months ago.

He sensibly put them into 3 consecutive auctions. They were guided at 80-90 and the EAs reckoned that they would sell on for 120.

The first in the market was in a right old state and I reckoned that for the work required (and it was mostly work!) anything over bottom guide was too much. I attended this auction, just in case it was available for silly money, (though I was there for another property as well), the guy just in front of me got if for 84 and looked very pleased with himself.

The second one was in better state, but still not worth more than the top guide, and this was the one on the telly. The stupid bint that bought it, bid far too much and paid 108, though obviously there was another stupid bint who offered 107! She was interviewed on the prog and admitted that she paid far too much, but expected to recoup that in the long term as she intended on letting it anyway (I always think that this is a silly justification! If you paid too much, you paid too much - end of).

The third went for 95, though I had lost interest in the block by then.

And back to the first. I walked past the block regularly through the summer of 06 (name for a record anyone) and watched his progress tidying it up. He did do a hell of a lot of work and eventually put it on the market at the end of the summer, initially at 'offers over 130', but later reduced to a 'fixed price 125' (It's in England so don't use the Scottish meaning there). I note that he eventually sold it in June 07 for 95. So don't believe all the hyped up valuations that the EAs in the program give.

tim

Comment

IT contractors seem to be everywhere these days. Just last night one popped up on Channel 5's Build a New Life in the Country, setting up a chilli farm/restaurant venture.

No wonder the government think we are overpaid employees. The narrator even said last night that the guy was doing one final job for his employers to help fund the build. I expect the IR35 mob were taking notes too.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Was it any of you lot?
              Almost.

I bought my house from auction a few years back and they were filming it. The bidding went bonkers and their cameraman looked very dizzy from panning about the room by the time he'd finished.

The lass fronting the program came up to us at the end and asked if we wanted to be on the program. They would visit us three times in a 6 month period to see how things were going and would pay us £500! Yay!

Needless to say, I told her to get rooted.

(Might have done it for £5000)

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                Almost.

I bought my house from auction a few years back and they were filming it. The bidding went bonkers and their cameraman looked very dizzy from panning about the room by the time he'd finished.

The lass fronting the program came up to us at the end and asked if we wanted to be on the program. They would visit us three times in a 6 month period to see how things were going and would pay us £500! Yay!

Needless to say, I told her to get rooted.

(Might have done it for £5000)
                You don't think the people that say "yes", do it for the money, do you?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                  You don't think the people that say "yes", do it for the money, do you?

tim
                  Considering they're always edited to look like bell-ends, I wouldn't have thought for a minute it was for the fame...

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    Considering they're always edited to look like bell-ends, I wouldn't have thought for a minute it was for the fame...

You don't remember the "I'll do anything to get on TV" segment of "The Word" then? Some particularly gross acts. Though the one where the fit bird licked sweat from some 30 stone geezer's navel gave me hope.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X