• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think you will be investigated ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think you will be investigated ?

Just wondered how paranoid people are about being IR35 investigated ?

Even though Im pretty much outside of IR35, I'm still worry about it, sometimes I dont think about it other times it keeps me up at night thinking could I lose everything... would they make me declare myself bankrupt resulting in never being able to work in my sector again. Some people I know dont break a sweat even though there still doing loans and trust etc.
    No I dont think it will ever happen to me
    20.93%
    I think it will happen but dont worry about it.
    30.23%
    I worry about it alot.
    13.95%
    I worry about it so much that it makes my life a misery
    2.33%
    Liz Hurley is fit
    32.56%

Most of us will never be investigated, HMRC have probably lost the disks with all our details on.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post

Even though Im pretty much outside of IR35, I'm still worry about it, sometimes I dont think about it other times it keeps me up at night thinking could I lose everything... would they make me declare myself bankrupt resulting in never being able to work in my sector again. Some people I know dont break a sweat even though there still doing loans and trust etc.
      I think that I read somewhere that the PCG office get two people per week needing to use their insurance.

Since they have 14000 members I work that out as a 1% chance of getting investigated.

I am sure that my contracts have all been OK for IR35 purposes and I am in the PCG, so I don't worry about it.

However, I don't own a house so I have nothing to lose, so I have few worries full stop.

Comment

I worry about it a bit - but I am using the IOM!

Where is the andyw option? is that the Liz Hurley thing?

Comment

In Denmark they investigate you every other year.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What worries me is that I'll get investigated 5 years down the line when I've forgotten all about what I was doing on this contract.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

How much can they do in an investigation on a contract that was several years ago? The team you worked with have probably moved on, leaving them with nothing but the paperwork. I can't see them tracking down your project manager from 5 years ago to ask them about a contractor they won't remember. In this case does it matter if the contract doesn't match the actual situation at the client?

Comment

Then they'll just make some sh1t up, they use a lovely word for it: 'deem'.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post

My company was investigated in 2003. Fortunately I had taken out insurance for such an eventuality via the PCG. In 2006 the revenue agreed that there was no IR35 liability.
                  In the 3 years of the investigation, there was no mention by the revenue of contracts, just attempts by them to get various HR drones from one particular client to agree that I was no different from their company's employees.
                  If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    I think that I read somewhere that the PCG office get two people per week needing to use their insurance.

Since they have 14000 members I work that out as a 1% chance of getting investigated.
                    Does anyone have actual data on the chances of being investigated? What is the time limit beyond which they are unable to do an investigation?

If two are investigated per week out of a sample set of 14000 your 1% presumably comes from 2*52/14000 = a 0.7% chance over a year. If the limit is say 10 years then that's a 7% chance?

Are their small public sector commie brains capable of reasoning that it makes more sense to investigate a target with a larger potential liability? Do your chances increase/decrease according to their potential take from an investigation?

Does anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                    X