• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fastest you have ever driven on a UK public road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest you have ever driven on a UK public road

Ok, fascinating poll to follow.

For the speed to count you must have driven at that speed for a good few miles, not just accelerate up and slow down.
    Up to 70mph but never faster.
    7.41%
    Never topped a ton.
    18.52%
    Been up to about 140 a few times.
    22.22%
    Driven over 140 mph.
    51.85%

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Ok, fascinating poll to follow.

For the speed to count you must have driven at that speed for a good few miles, not just accelerate up and slow down.
    60mph in the middle lane of the M1 for 100 miles.

Oh no, that was everybody else

Comment

130mph - but there's no possible way of voting for that.

140 in France.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        130mph - but there's no possible way of voting for that.

140 in France.
        I couldn't be bothered to create more voting options.

Comment

I did drive at 110 along the M5 at night in fairly heavy traffic once, seriously not a good idea.

Generally I start to feel shaky around the ton mark so always used to stay below that. Especially since I don't own a car and end up hiring one for a weekend every couple of years or so.

These days there are cameras everywhere so I don't think that you can get away with it any more. I do think that the speed limits that were set decades ago really should be reviewed though.

Comment

I wish I could reply "never topped a ton"

I was young and stupid - it was a long while ago...

Comment

160 + on the M4 on a Honda VF1000 Roadrace special, I was racing a snooty 911 driver and blew him away.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

125 on the A303 heading west, just after stonehenge where it becomes dual carriageway again. 1 a.m.

But now, even on the Autobahn, I stay below a ton. Petrol consumption just goes way up. I like the way my car has recommended tyre pressures up to 100mph, and over 100mph.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I wish I could reply "never topped a ton"

I was young and stupid - it was a long while ago...
                  Wrotham Hill in in MX5 BBR phase III turbo - one of only 3 done and the best of them. 150mph - but due to wheel size is a real speed rather than 10% out...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Wrotham Hill in in MX5 BBR phase III turbo - one of only 3 done and the best of them. 150mph - but due to wheel size is a real speed rather than 10% out...
                    Actually, would only last 3 minutes. 140mph for about 15 minutes following on from that...

Mind you a reliant Robin got to 105mph on Wrotham Hill....

Comment

Working...
                    X