• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't they simply charge per bin bag ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't they simply charge per bin bag ?

is it really worth all the effort, why don't they do what they do in Belgium,

bin lorries only pickup the official council bin bags which can be bought in the supermarket in rolls and cost a euro for each bag - simple, pay as you go pre paid bin collections

but no, this pilot scheme has a much better idea...

'From April the amount of non-recycled waste thrown away by families in five areas of Britain will be monitored using hidden microchips.

As well as the expense of putting chips in bins, councils which adopt the scheme will have to pay for weighing machines in refuse collection trucks, locks to stop people dumping their rubbish in neighbours' bins and potentially higher costs for cleaning up litter if the scheme leads to increased fly-tipping.

Councils will also have to invest in new administrative systems and computer technology to work out bills for individual households.

The revelation that bailiffs would be used to collect debts was made by Joan Ruddock, the environment minister, in response to a written question.',

isn't that a little OTT, why don't they follow the Belgium model ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/nbins128.xml

My conclusion is, the technology companies have sold the idea to those in charge who think it is wonderful and yippee the way to go.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    My conclusion is, the technology companies have sold the idea to those in charge who think it is wonderful and yippee the way to go.

Milan.
    It'll all be linked into your ID card soon anyway - no ID card, no rubbish collection. But it's still a voluntary card
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think we are a bit behind several of our European neighbours in this respect. I recall there was a town in Germany (Bielefeld) that used to incinerate all of it's rubbish. The heat would then be used to heat water that was pumped out to the houses in the town. The incineration also produced electricity, which was then sold back to the "council, or Stadt" which in turn was used to fund the collection of the rubbish.....

How difficult can it be? I know they have said that incineration produces gases etc...
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I'm a bit of a late convert to recycling. I just moved to an area with only one rubbish collection a fortnight with a recycling collection in the interim weeks. I thought it would be impossible to survive on one bin load a fortnight but we don't even fill it. The recycling pile is a lot bigger than I thought. Also the birds ( and squirrels ) are having a field day eating all the stuff that used to go in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          is it really worth all the effort, why don't they do what they do in Belgium,.
          The scheme in Belgium is cheap, simple and effective. What are you thinking?

threaded in "some people, tch" mode
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Aren't coulcils already charging us for refuse collection through the council tax?

If this new charge is for recycling,then the individual is doing the recycling by separating the materials already,all the councils would have to do is put the different materials in separate storage areas to be dealt with appropriately. A lot of councils who are proposing to charge extra for this don't even have a recycling capability at the moment anyway. This is just an extra tax which will go to line the pockets of the fat cats in the town halls who think up even more elaborate schemes to separate the ordinary householder from his hard-earned income!
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

In greenwich new scheme started. one bin for food waste, one bin recycling, orange bag for nappies, black bag for rest(polystyrene, clothes, dust, etc.)

I put clothes to charity anyway.

My issue is they have not been clear on what is recycled and what is black bag. So what is an envelope with a plastic window? light bulbs? aerosols?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                In greenwich new scheme started. one bin for food waste, one bin recycling, orange bag for nappies, black bag for rest(polystyrene, clothes, dust, etc.)

My issue is they have not been clear on what is recycled and what is black bag. So what is an envelope with a plastic window? light bulbs? aerosols?
                just took a look on web site - some guidelines are there. but does need more details.

I thought they collected nappies to recycle(using machine developed in Holland) but it is just so they are collected weekly...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Right from my local council who don't recycle from over half the properties in the area and impose a very strict regime for the other half.

You need to rip the plastic window of the envelope and recycle the paper but throw away the plastic.

Energy efficient light bulbs should be taken to the local tip sorry "Recycling Centre"

Aerosols go in the black bag.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We have chipped bins. The bin men are supposed (at some time in the near future) to be checking for the wrong rubbish inthe bin so they will be able to charge for it.
                    Problem is that you never get the same bin back. You have to go hunting down the street for te right one. Even though ours has 8" numbers on it!!!
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X