• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hdtv

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hdtv

Ok, this is not really the right place to ask but I though a bunch of you might have some practical experience.

I need a new TV, so it's time for a flat panel. 37" is the size.

Now, what I can't work out is what the hell I really want. HD ready, full HD (1080p or 1080i). Full HD is still a couple of hundred quid extra (nothing to you contractors but about 6 months take home to a poor permie like me ).

I don't have SKY and am unlikely to get SKY HD. I don't have HDDVD - but might when it becomes more common (3 years?). It's main sources are therefore going to be regular DVD and terrestrial digital. As far as I know there are no HD broadcasts on Freeview but I don't know what plans there are.

So should I go the full HD route hopefully allowing HD sources as they become available. Or save the extra cash and worry about it in a few years?

p.s. is it likely to be covered by my employers dispensation

Full HD 1080 is the one to go for although HD ready 720 is acceptable and the displayed results hard to distinguish (esp on a 'small' 37" screen)

You will pay a premium for the full HD spec panel as opposed to the 720

Sky has gone for 1080 i.e. full broadcast capability - I'm not sure what the Beeb & Channel 4 output is

Freeview has announced it will be going HD - or a HD channel available shortly.

OLED technology may blow all the current HD offerings away if and when they crack the technology challenges.

A smart man would wait as long as possible before purchasing as things are still evolving - depends if you want a CRT in your lounge when friends come to call

& finally tulipe content is still tulipe whether it's HD or not

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Buy the cheap option, by the time they're broadcasting HDTV you'll want to watch, it'll be time for a new one anyway.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Which? did a report on TVs this month. You can sign up for a month's trial of their website for £1 and get the information.

I paid the extra for 1080p this month, but I have V+ and an XBOX360 so already have two HD devices. You can also buy some decent DVD players that will upscale to HD for you, but not sure how good they are.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          You can also buy some decent DVD players that will upscale to HD for you, but not sure how good they are.
          PS3 does this and it is excellent

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Don't bother.

All the programmes are carp and a 14" portable is perfectly adequate.
            Not if you have sky HD they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              Not if you have sky HD they are not.
              I have sky HD and the prog content is a bit limited - may dump it when the subscription expires
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                I have sky HD and the prog content is a bit limited - may dump it when the subscription expires
                I would agree it is slightly limited. I am presuming of course that it could only improve. I do watch a shedload of sport and appreciate watching it in HD when possible.

Comment

I agree with Threaded (he does talk some sense sometimes).

If there is no likelyhood of you buying into Sky's view of the world, by the time that there is enough HD TV on the 'normal' channels you will be needing a new TV.

tim

Comment

Having experienced my 42" plasma starting to play up after just 8 months, I'd probably advise anyone thinking of splashing out to wait for the technology to mature.

CRT's may not be the nicest things to look at, but I imagine the failure rate in comparison to current LCDs and plasmas is pretty low.

Comment

Working...
                    X