• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Sad Tale of an Abused Land Rover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sad Tale of an Abused Land Rover

On Friday evening I got off at my stop and made the short walk to where my car was parked at the station. To my surprise I found that the exhaust was hanging off underneath the car. The car is a 2004 Land Rover Freelander TD4, so whilst far from the most reliable things out there, it was still a shock to see it in an undriveable state. Fast forward to Saturday - I got the car taken to the local garage and they popped it up on the ramp, where the full extent of what had happened was revealed…

Some cowardly, scumbag, thievin' gits had forcibly removed the catalytic converter. Gone. A huge gap in the exhaust system where the cat used to be. It seems to have been sawed off at each end - the front being right up against the turbo. On discovering what had happened, you could say I was a little non-plussed.

Garage have just called and quoted £555 as pretty much a full exhaust system is needed. Nice.

I haven't reported it to the police, but am considering it as I am thinking of contacting my insurance company to see what they say. Of greater concern is the fact that people are willing to do this during the day and the fact that when I get my car back I don't want this to happen again. Garage chap said they have had 4 in this year where the same thing had happened - 4x4s and a Honda of some sort. What is up with people?

I had held off on changing the car due to keeping as much moolah in the bank as possible at the moment. However, I may soon be in the market for a nice motor that has a hard-to-steal cat on it!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    On Friday evening I got off at my stop and made the short walk to where my car was parked at the station. To my surprise I found that the exhaust was hanging off underneath the car. The car is a 2004 Land Rover Freelander TD4, so whilst far from the most reliable things out there, it was still a shock to see it in an undriveable state. Fast forward to Saturday - I got the car taken to the local garage and they popped it up on the ramp, where the full extent of what had happened was revealed…

Some cowardly, scumbag, thievin' gits had forcibly removed the catalytic converter. Gone. A huge gap in the exhaust system where the cat used to be. It seems to have been sawed off at each end - the front being right up against the turbo. On discovering what had happened, you could say I was a little non-plussed.

Garage have just called and quoted £555 as pretty much a full exhaust system is needed. Nice.

I haven't reported it to the police, but am considering it as I am thinking of contacting my insurance company to see what they say. Of greater concern is the fact that people are willing to do this during the day and the fact that when I get my car back I don't want this to happen again. Garage chap said they have had 4 in this year where the same thing had happened - 4x4s and a Honda of some sort. What is up with people?

I had held off on changing the car due to keeping as much moolah in the bank as possible at the moment. However, I may soon be in the market for a nice motor that has a hard-to-steal cat on it!

Do you think they after the platinum in the cat or the cat as a spare part?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Do you think they after the platinum in the cat or the cat as a spare part?
      Chap at garage reckons they sell them to scrap merchants for around £100.

Comment

...and have you had a head gasket failure yet?

Comment

...and have you had a head gasket failure yet?
          Bought new and no probs at all. A lot of the family are farmers and whilst not essential, 3-4 times a year it is handy to have a 4x4. Seriously conisdering a sports car again now on the basis that it will be closer to the ground...

Comment

Chap at garage reckons they sell them to scarp merchants for around £100.
            flip...that makes quite a viable opportunity for the scroats...you can get a cordless saw & be away in minutes! sorry not helping your problem at all... I'd heard of manholes & street furniture being removed for scrap.. but first time for cats

Comment

However, I may soon be in the market for a nice motor that has a hard-to-steal cat on it!

Jaguars might fit the bill.

As might a tiger or lion.

HTH.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

both my 4x4's are diesel...don't think they have them - this may help

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/la...-converter.php
                Last edited by Troll; 28 January 2008, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Jaguars might fit the bill.

As might a tiger or lion.

HTH.
                  Thanks mate.

Comment

both my 4x4's are diesel...don't think they have them - this may help

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/la...-converter.php
                    Ta.

Comment

Working...
                    X