• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Ireland with UK Ltd Co.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Ireland with UK Ltd Co.

I've done a search but not really found what I am looking for.
    I used to live in Ireland but came back last year, I am now thinking of going out there again but using my UK Ltd company.
    Assuming I find the right contract, are there any rules about having a contract in Ireland and being paid in Euros to a UK company?

I believe no VAT could be charged but I am VAT registered over here so that might be a pain.

Any rules on the Director of a UK Co. living (temporarily) abroad?

Anyone ever done this that can offer advice?

Thanks in advance.

Trying to figure out the same thing

Hi

I am trying to figure out the same thing except my company is in Belgium and what if I go to another EU country?

The only advice on the net is given by people who run management companies. There whole argument seems to be structured around trying to get you to ditch your company and using them.

However their argument troubles me:

Technically your place of management moves with you so in theory de facto it becomes an irish company which can then be taxed.

Also self employed you cannot hide behind the 183 day rule. Your salary is taxable in Ireland from day one as the work is in Ireland. Then after 183 days in Ireland your worldwide income is then taxable (eg dividends paid in the UK).

183 day rule mainly applys to employees who work in another country.

Possible ways around this:

If it is a one off for less than 6 months find a UK based management company and be an employee. If you can find one that will receive Euros.

Sign your company over to a nominee director so the place of management stays in the UK and only have contact with them when you are in the UK. Still probably need to register self employed and pay some tax in Ireland on your salary

Register a branch in Ireland.

Create a subsidery.

Redomicile the company in Ireland.

Put you company to sleep in the UK and start a new one in Ireland.

Find an Irish Management Company. My experience of non UK management Companies is 100% negative though.

But need to check there are no IR35 equivalents or employment laws with all of these.

Hope you find a solution Freedom of Movement is nice in theory but no-one has thought about one man companies or if the director wants to go abroad temporarily.

Julian

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
        Care to elaborate?...

Comment

Working...
        X