• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Was Disappointing in 2007?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting Was Disappointing in 2007?

Hi

Last year 2007 I worked just 7 and half months out of the year in contracting. I found it difficult to get that next contract gig. That is a poor ratio of engagements for contracting, isn't it?

With the financial markets is disarrayed, is the "numbers game" going to get much more difficult in 2008?
    Is time for me to give up?

I am still on the bench, I have had interviews after interview and they keep on "choosing stronger candidates" or they say "your answers were not at the required technical level". I got another of those "rejection" calls today.

I think this is garbage but may be I am just very bad at face-2-face interviews. I cant seem to describe things in a concise and succinct manner. I waffled on "polymorphism" even though I know the concept in my head. I feel totally f**ked over again.

I really don't know what to do. What else can I do?

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    Hi

Last year 2007 I worked just 7 and half months out of the year in contracting.
    Wotcha!

Then you did better than me. (From which you may conclude what follows is either rubbish or based on experience - you choose!)

I found it difficult to get that next contract gig. That is a poor ratio of engagements for contracting, isn't it?
    Not necessarily. I think the Arras survey reckoned on PMs working about 6 months in 12. Location and willingness to travel matter an awful lot, as does up-to-datedness of skills.

With the financial markets is disarrayed, is the "numbers game" going to get much more difficult in 2008?

I am still on the bench, I have had interviews after interview and they keep on "choosing stronger candidates" or they say "your answers were not at the required technical level". I got another of those "rejection" calls today.
    Wanna compare stats? These are approximate but close:

About 195 applications. For about 2/3rds of these I am confident I can do the job. = 130 realistic applications.
    For about half I get to speak to the agent (I reckon they won't go anywhere unless I manage to do that). = 65 actual applications.
    Interviews I have been offered: 6 (so 1 in 11 applications is working! Woo!)
    Declined one interview when I saw the details.
    1) Offered one role: contract was terminated day before it began.
    2) Offered one role: agent got greedy re margin and resulted in the role going away.
    3) "Waiting to hear" since November. Yeah, right.
    4) Went quiet - no feedback available.
    5) One is "We'll get back to you in March with an offer" - yeah, right.

So getting offered the gig is no guarantee!

I ALWAYS ask for feedback - say at the interview you are aware your interview technique is poor (a good answer to the "your strength and a weakness?" question) and would appreciate them giving feedback to the agent. About one time in three they actually do but you have to take it with a pinch of salt and not treat it as gospel.

I think this is garbage but may be I am just very bad at face-2-face interviews.
    Just keep practising. I'm assuming you're in IT. If so, don't worry about it - much of the competition isn't very good either.

I cant seem to describe things in a concise and succinct manner. I waffled on "polymorphism" even though I know the concept in my head. I feel totally f**ked over again.
    Well done, you've spotted a weakness. That's actually more useful than knowing your strengths. Practice giving interview answers to the dog / TV / in the shower.

It is normal to make fluffs in an interview; it is how you recover that matters: "Sorry, I've realised I'm waffling - what was the question again?".

Just keep going. And post in Light Relief when you're feeling down.

For now, look back at your stats.

Are you applying for roles where you actually stand a chance or are you wasting your time applying for gigs you won't get?

Are you following up on those applications?

What is your application to interview ratio? If it is poor, improve your CV otherwise, leave it alone because it's working.

What is your interview to offer ratio? If it is poor, read up on the advice on JobSite and agency web sites on interview technique. Ignore the more esoteric suggestions (we're IT, not the meedja dahling) and go with the advice common to all of them. And keep practising by attending.

Is it time for you to give up? Yes, if you want to give your next gig to someone else - they will be glad of it and they only reason they'll get it and not you is because they did not give up.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Hi

Last year 2007 I worked just 7 and half months out of the year in contracting. I found it difficult to get that next contract gig. That is a poor ratio of engagements for contracting, isn't it?

I think this is garbage but may be I am just very bad at face-2-face interviews. I cant seem to describe things in a concise and succinct manner. I waffled on "polymorphism" even though I know the concept in my head. I feel totally f**ked over again.

Just keep plugging away, that's exactly what I experienced a few years ago. You'll need to practice your knowledge. Make sure you can pass the technical tests. You can only do that by swotting up. Knowledge gained from experience just isn't enough.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Fantastic advise ovvered here from the first reply. Useful and comforting in a nice way!

Also, if you are not comfortable with bench time, consider permie work if you can get the right salary......

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          consider permie work

Comment

Hi

Learn SAP. It's the future.

HTH

Comment

shat it you plonker,

(ahem)(cough),

yes. what you need to stay off the bench is to get the full Microsoft .Net skills under your belt, go for the complete MSDN certification and as far as I understand from people like DimPrawn you'll be well setup.

All the best, and remember, www.microsoft.com

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                shat it you plonker,

(ahem)(cough),

yes. what you need to stay off the bench is to get the full Microsoft .Net skills under your belt, go for the complete MSDN certification and as far as I understand from people like DimPrawn you'll be well setup.

All the best, and remember, www.microsoft.com

Milan.

www.sap.com

Btw MB, how come the international site for SAP shows a coloured bloke yet the German site shows a white chap?

Comment

don't matter as long as the invoices are paid

NEXT.

Milan.

Comment

Learn how to change tapes.

It's the future.

milan
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X