• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do referees get contacted?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do referees get contacted?

While listening to an agent (yet again) saying how they ALWAYS follow up references I realised:

In my last six gigs, none of my referees were contacted. Each gig needed two references.

To your knowledge, how often do references get followed up for agency gigs? Ever?

(Yeah, yeah, employment businesses. Yadda, yadda. Agents.)
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    While listening to an agent (yet again) saying how they ALWAYS follow up references I realised:

In my last six gigs, none of my referees were contacted. Each gig needed two references.

To your knowledge, how often do references get followed up for agency gigs? Ever?

(Yeah, yeah, employment businesses. Yadda, yadda. Agents.)

None of mine.

However, they chased up references BEFORE a gig once which was really bad - especially as I did not get the gig and existing work found out!! to be honest, I think they were just database fishing. LArge agent as well. (One of the Computer ones)

Comment

I know one of the other posters on this board has a couple of spare cell-phones, the number of which they give out as if for referees. They have worked like this for many years. They have never been asked for references, always fishing calls.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

3 out of my last 4 jobs have checked references but in all fairness one of them was for Security clearance and the other was for a CRB check so I suppose only 1 real reference check,
        Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

I've never had a reference checked, I have had a reference asked if he wanted any contractors though

Comment

Yes, nearly every time. I make sure I set up the arrangement though, not the EB and inform the EB that I have told the referee what to expect from the call, along with likely questions (which I get from the EB) and how long it is likely to last. These formalities usually deter any sales calls.

Comment

Past couple have been checked, but they were for roles where I opted in / didn't opt out.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In 2005, Progressive called me to take up a reference. There was no fishing for contacts at all. I was somewhat stunned.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X