• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biology

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biology

Sealed glass container with food and water sufficient to support life... into which are placed a single male & female fruit fly & container is kept at constant 20 degrees.

After 40 days there are:

38 Male fruit flies

42 female fruit flies

Give a reason for the discrepancy between M & F numbers
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Sealed glass container with food and water sufficient to support life... into which are placed a single male & female fruit fly & container is kept at constant 20 degrees.

After 40 days there are:

38 Male fruit flies

42 female fruit flies

4 of the females are lesbians?

Comment

After 40 days there are:

38 Male fruit flies

42 female fruit flies

Males have a shorter lifespan than females.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Males have a shorter lifespan than females.
        He didn't mention morbidity!

Comment

After 40 days there are:

38 Male fruit flies

42 female fruit flies

Fruitfly sex is determined by environmental conditions during metamorphosis?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

4 of the males died in flagrante delicto
            Kneel before Bod

Comment

Sample is too small to draw any conclusions from the difference in numbers.

Leave for much longer and see what you get then.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There were originally 42 male fruit flies as well but 4 of them got nagged to death by the female fruit flies......
                Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

It's actually a question in a O' Level paper I was helping sprog with - with my limited knowledge of genetics I would have expected a 50 /50 split - lower male lifespan sounds plausible, gender in the fruit fly is not affected by external influences - i.e. temperature & I agree the sample rate is very small.

Googling doesn't help except to highlight that Darwin pondered the same issues

The next question is where the temperature is increase to 25 degrees and the population goes up - which can be explained by shorter incubation periods
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

As temperature goes up the fruit fly population should go down as the flies will suffer heat-stress and the gestation period increases.

You'd think they'd ask questions related to reality.

I think they're talking of a different animal, a crocodile for example, not a fruit fly.

Stoopid questions.

threaded in "GIGO" mode.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X