• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Court Summons for Speeding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court Summons for Speeding

I got pulled in a 30mph zone a little while back, clocked at 37 according to the little hitler who jumped out and pointed the camera at me.

I still maintain I was doing less than 35, plus as far as I was concerned it was a 40, but a lack of signs, lights so far apart yada yada indicated it was 30.

Anyway, I argued the toss and said to them, fine, I challenge it and will see you in court. That was four months ago.

Summons, just arrived and court date is 11th Feb. They're bring two witnesses!!!! which will be fun as there was only one person there.

So anyone fought and one a courst case for speeding?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I got pulled in a 30mph zone a little while back, clocked at 37 according to the little hitler who jumped out and pointed the camera at me.

I still maintain I was doing less than 35, plus as far as I was concerned it was a 40, but a lack of signs, lights so far apart yada yada indicated it was 30.

Anyway, I argued the toss and said to them, fine, I challenge it and will see you in court. That was four months ago.

Summons, just arrived and court date is 11th Feb. They're bring two witnesses!!!! which will be fun as there was only one person there.

So anyone fought and one a courst case for speeding?
    won

court

Bend over, They are going to nail you in court.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Get your tape measure out & check the spacing of the lamp posts...
      Done that. Plus there were two 40mph entry signs on every other road except the one I entered, where the 30mph sign was two miles back on a completely different road.

I was of the opinion if they want to cut speed they should put a bloody sign up!

Comment

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

well done for challenging it - everyone should!

very best of luck.

Comment

If there's no sign then it's 30 I'm afraid, unless there are just fields and woods round about. Built up area's are 30.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

You need a solicitor

As long as you are prepared to pay for one, you may have a slim chance. Your word against a copper's doesn't count, a solicitor will probe and ask other questions like signposts, the position of the gun etc. Only go for that if you've got a few points left and near to being disqualified, then again that might work against you. Don't forget for doing less than 40 it's now 2 pts, not 3 (new legislation?). I've been through exactly the same (37 mph) but it was a fixed camera (even allowing for a +/- 10% tolerance, was still over), so didn't bother.

Comment

Ask for a copy of the calibration certificate for the speed-gun. Also, it may be worth requesting the details of level of training given to the operator, Cert of Competency, validity etc.

If the device took a picture with your vehicle and speed, ask for a copy of that too if you don't have it.

Did plod do you or a traffic warden?

Best of all, good luck.

Comment

Well I was told I would get three points only regardless of the outcome.

Basically he said the fine would be higher if I lost, so I thought fck it, I can afford it, the court is 5 minutes away, it's a Monday morning and I thought I'd show my daughter what happens if you dont get a good education. ie. You become a criminal or a copper

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I can afford it
                  Yes, I am sure you can afford a criminal conviction - unlike fixed penalty notice court decision would actually mean you have got criminal conviction - not that it would make any difference after you buried Mordac in your backgarden

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Yes, I am sure you can afford a criminal conviction - unlike fixed penalty notice court decision would actually mean you have got criminal conviction - not that it would make any difference after you buried Mordac in your backgarden
                    Bollocks AtW

points on your licence are points on your licence.

Comment

Working...
                    X