• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"British Stupid Way" of buying computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"British Stupid Way" of buying computers

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003637.html

What the ... is this guy on about.

Go to any town in Germany and you will find 4 or 5 computer superstores selling PCs bundled with software and peripherals, over the counter.

Come to Sweden and in the little town (80,000 people) that I am currently in, there are 6 computer superstores selling PCs bundled with software and peripherals, over the counter.

More people (percentagewise) buy PCs this way in these countries than do in Britain.

He might be right that this way of selling computers is "at risk", and is "stupid". But if he really thinks that it is uniquely a British way (or indeed that it even started in Britain, - which it didn't) then he knows so little about the market he is commenting upon, that his opinions have to be worthless.

tim

maybe PC world are just facing stiffer competition
    and people might just be realising that they're crap
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003637.html

Go to any town in Germany and you will find 4 or 5 computer superstores selling PCs bundled with software and peripherals, over the counter.

Come to Sweden and in the little town (80,000 people) that I am currently in, there are 6 computer superstores selling PCs bundled with software and peripherals, over the counter.

More people (percentagewise) buy PCs this way in these countries than do in Britain.

He might be right that this way of selling computers is "at risk", and is "stupid". But if he really thinks that it is uniquely a British way (or indeed that it even started in Britain, - which it didn't) then he knows so little about the market he is commenting upon, that his opinions have to be worthless.

tim
      He is a reporter or journalist or whatever we wish to call him. He knows nothing - about anything.

His only result of stumbling into a classroom while he was a child was to learn how to write.

All other skills are not absorbed by him - and that is why he is a reporter.

Don't sound so surprised when a man like him writes completely idiotic articles.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Harsh

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        He is a reporter or journalist or whatever we wish to call him. He knows nothing - about anything.

His only result of stumbling into a classroom while he was a child was to learn how to write.

All other skills are not absorbed by him - and that is why he is a reporter.

Don't sound so surprised when a man like him writes completely idiotic articles.
        I've told you before about sitting on the fence.

Comment

He is saying buying stuff from PC World is the "British Stupid Way" of buying stuff and we're doing less of it.

IMHO, buying stuff from PC World is indeed the stupid way, British or otherwise. It is overpriced tat from ignorant numpties. That we are doing less of it is A Good Thing.

What's the problem?
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            What's the problem?
            Your pension fund has probably invested heavily in them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              He is saying buying stuff from PC World is the "British Stupid Way" of buying stuff and we're doing less of it.

IMHO, buying stuff from PC World is indeed the stupid way, British or otherwise. It is overpriced tat from ignorant numpties. That we are doing less of it is A Good Thing.

What's the problem?
              His denigration of 'British'. Note that the whole phrase is in quotes he didn't say: British "Stupid Way".

And he isn't a journalist, he's an analyst at Credit Suisse.

tim

Comment

His denigration of 'British'. Note that the whole phrase is in quotes he didn't say: British "Stupid Way".

tim
                Yeah, they're always talking out of their arses.

Comment

Oh Dear (tm)
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I don't think PC world are that bad, these days. I got my Fujitsu desktop there a year ago for ~£300 and it was a pretty decent spec, as good as I could find online. And it had virtually no software installed, just a Fujitsu desktop background image.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X