• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boredom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boredom

Scenario,

Three weeks into a new contract, what do you do if you constantly have to ask for work. I expected to come in, hit the ground running as that was the impression they gave me at the interview as the client is snowed under. However, its so quiet, I have no real work and I end up clock watching and I'm getting a bit fed up with constantly asking. OK, it's a contract, which I should be lucky for but 9 - 5:30 gets a long day in this position. Anybody else have similar experience - And yes... I am looking but it's local

Originally posted by Solent View Post
    Scenario,

Three weeks into a new contract, what do you do if you constantly have to ask for work. I expected to come in, hit the ground running as that was the impression they gave me at the interview as the client is snowed under. However, its so quiet, I have no real work and I end up clock watching and I'm getting a bit fed up with constantly asking. OK, it's a contract, which I should be lucky for but 9 - 5:30 gets a long day in this position. Anybody else have similar experience - And yes... I am looking but it's local
    It happens a lot.

I tend to train myself on new technologies.

Comment

1) Post on here
      2) Work on Plan B
      3) Post on here & work on Plan B

Have I missed any?

Comment

I agree about new technologies, I guess we might as well use the time while we can and yes must get my finger out to post on her more often

Comment

Just remember not do any work. You might be caught by IR35.
          Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Scenario,

I have been in this position many times. It happens because often there is poor management and/or a disjoint between needing resource and eventually getting it. Sometimes managers like to fill a position quickly while there is still approved budget even if they know the resource isn't immediately needed. Either way, it's better to pretend to be busy than make it blatently obvious your services are surplus to requirements.

Surf the net, post drivel on here/have a cyber fight. Join the onsite gym and have long lunches.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              It happens because often there is poor management and/or a disjoint between needing resource and eventually getting it.
              Surely it happens because you are just too smart for your job?

Comment

I have no real work and I end up clock watching and I'm getting a bit fed up with constantly asking. OK, it's a contract, which I should be lucky for but 9 - 5:30 gets a long day in this position. Anybody else have similar experience - And yes... I am looking but it's local
                Sounds like you're in a nice position! As you're outside IR35 why not sub it to me and find something else, then we'll swap over occasionally to keep the client sweet?

I've only ever been in that situation as a permie but to burn the time I used to read ebooks and did some online training for things that I could end up getting my hands dirty with.

It's much nicer getting paid to learn I think.
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Scenario,

join tpd.

Comment

Working...
                  X