• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Case against HR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Case against HR

From the FT online by Luke Johnson

Human resources is a management term that should strike fear into the heart of every self-respecting entrepreneur.

Thanks to low global interest rates, high government spending, increased credit and cheap goods from China, there is a belief that Britain is a very rich country with a robust economy. This may prove a painful illusion.

Forum: Are HR departments a waste of time, or a necessary part of business?

The brilliant Avis boss Robert Townsend in his book Up the Organisation suggests firing the entire personnel department. Indeed, I have radically downsized HR in several companies I have run, and business has gone all the better for it.

Tragically, we live in a time of overwhelming employment legislation, so getting legal procedures right can save time and heartache – that is the sort of task HR handles. It is probably the very definition of a necessary evil for a 21st century business.

HR is like many parts of modern businesses: a simple expense, and a burden on the backs of the productive workers. Other divisions that can become the enemy include IT, legal and marketing. They don’t sell or produce: they consume. They are the amorphous support services.

Often it makes sense to sub-contract these activities and reward the external provider based on performance. If they don’t deliver, you don’t pay and you can replace them.

But managers too often think their company isn’t grown-up unless it has all these important-sounding departments. It is a grave error to succumb to institutionalisation: good leaders care about results, not process. Too often I come across companies where staff in the field work not for customers but for HQ, which drains the company of cash and enthusiasm.

Typically an apparatus builds up around divisions such as HR to expand their role and cost more money. For example, compensation consultants are hired to come up with justifications for paying everyone more.

Training advisers are employed to distract everyone from doing their job with pointless courses. Appraisal experts are contracted to critique staff relations. Experts are drafted in to devise an appropriate corporate social responsibility agenda – whatever that is.

All this paraphernalia is accepted as essential good practice by modern-thinking corporate management. I think most of it is expensive, bureaucratic hogwash. But, clearly, it becomes a lucrative bandwagon for many to jump on – so they justify it all, come what may.

Of course, senior executives understand that HR is powerful – a bit like Mossad or the CIA. Those in personnel know everyone’s salary and bonus and all their disciplinary records. Wily office politicians cultivate them, since they help decide who gets a pay rise and promotion, how contracts are drafted, how individuals are treated if there is a restructuring and so on. Meanwhile, headhunters spend their time cultivating the top talent and shuffling the deck, profiting at every turn.

Running organisations that employ lots of people is increasingly difficult. No wonder the Rich List is full of more property entrepreneurs than any other kind. Inanimate objects like buildings can’t sue for unfair dismissal for discrimination over age, race, faith, gender, or sexual orientation – or demand flexible working or maternity rights.

Bosses who do a poor job can be as bad as workers: no one seems to accept blame for anything. Rose Gibb, chief executive of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Health Trust, received a £75,000 pay-off after at least 90 patients died from clostridium difficile in hospitals she ran. The message is: reward for catastrophic failure.

Inevitably, the bracing winds of a downturn will clear away a lot of pointless administration.

Companies will cut back on non-essential functions and ship expensive jobs abroad to cheap countries when they can. Legislators who have never met a payroll refuse to understand that when they gold-plate employment rights, they ultimately destroy jobs and prosperity.

Thanks to low global interest rates, high government spending, increased credit and cheap goods from China, there is a belief that Britain is a very rich country with a robust economy. This may prove a painful illusion.

Companies should start getting fit right now. As Albert Einstein said: “Bureaucracy is the death of any achievement.” When it is a question of survival, there is no room for the non-essential.

Email: Luke Johnson

NEW DISCOVERY IN THE WORLD OF SCIENCE
    A major research institution has recently announced the discovery of
    the heaviest element yet known to science. This new element has been
    tentatively named "Administratium".
    Administratium has 1 neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy
    neutrons, and 111 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic
    mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by a force
    called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of
    lepton-like particles called peons.
    Since Administratium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it
    can be detected as it impedes every reaction with which it
    comes into contact.
    A minute amount of Administratium causes one reaction to take
    over 4 days to complete when it would normally take only a
    few minutes. Administratium has a normal half-life of 3 years;
    it does not decay but instead undergoes a reorganization,
    in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons
    and assistant deputy neutrons exchange places, and additional
    peons are added.
    In fact, Administratium's mass will actually increase over time,
    since each reorganization causes some morons to become
    neutrons forming isodopes.
    This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to
    speculate that Administratium is formed whenever morons reach a certain
    quantity in concentration.
    This hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass."
    You will know it when you see it...

Comment

on the floor, sides hurting!!!
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

HR have a useful role in the company - protecting the company from employees, by advising those responsible for the company's welfare, whether their actions will break employment law.

That's it. Anything else is a waste of money.

I had a dust-up with my manager once. I gave him just enough rope to hang himself, and kept records. At the optimum time, I included HR in the discussions. Once they'd seen what had been going on, the manager got the elbow for messing up so badly, and I got a nice pay off to keep quiet.
        ( I did have friend in another HR dept advising me every step of the way ).

I do recall one union complaining when the HR department was abolished during an reorganisation at British Gas. They complained that this showed that BG had no concern for their staff. The numpties didn't seem to be aware that HR are not on the side of staff.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          From the FT online by Luke Johnson

Human resources is a management term that should strike fear into the heart of every self-respecting entrepreneur.

Forum: Are HR departments a waste of time, or a necessary part of business?

The brilliant Avis boss Robert Townsend in his book Up the Organisation suggests firing the entire personnel department. Indeed, I have radically downsized HR in several companies I have run, and business has gone all the better for it.

Tragically, we live in a time of overwhelming employment legislation, so getting legal procedures right can save time and heartache – that is the sort of task HR handles. It is probably the very definition of a necessary evil for a 21st century business.

HR is like many parts of modern businesses: a simple expense, and a burden on the backs of the productive workers. Other divisions that can become the enemy include IT, legal and marketing. They don’t sell or produce: they consume. They are the amorphous support services.

Often it makes sense to sub-contract these activities and reward the external provider based on performance. If they don’t deliver, you don’t pay and you can replace them.

But managers too often think their company isn’t grown-up unless it has all these important-sounding departments. It is a grave error to succumb to institutionalisation: good leaders care about results, not process. Too often I come across companies where staff in the field work not for customers but for HQ, which drains the company of cash and enthusiasm.

Typically an apparatus builds up around divisions such as HR to expand their role and cost more money. For example, compensation consultants are hired to come up with justifications for paying everyone more.

Training advisers are employed to distract everyone from doing their job with pointless courses. Appraisal experts are contracted to critique staff relations. Experts are drafted in to devise an appropriate corporate social responsibility agenda – whatever that is.

All this paraphernalia is accepted as essential good practice by modern-thinking corporate management. I think most of it is expensive, bureaucratic hogwash. But, clearly, it becomes a lucrative bandwagon for many to jump on – so they justify it all, come what may.

Of course, senior executives understand that HR is powerful – a bit like Mossad or the CIA. Those in personnel know everyone’s salary and bonus and all their disciplinary records. Wily office politicians cultivate them, since they help decide who gets a pay rise and promotion, how contracts are drafted, how individuals are treated if there is a restructuring and so on. Meanwhile, headhunters spend their time cultivating the top talent and shuffling the deck, profiting at every turn.

Running organisations that employ lots of people is increasingly difficult. No wonder the Rich List is full of more property entrepreneurs than any other kind. Inanimate objects like buildings can’t sue for unfair dismissal for discrimination over age, race, faith, gender, or sexual orientation – or demand flexible working or maternity rights.

Bosses who do a poor job can be as bad as workers: no one seems to accept blame for anything. Rose Gibb, chief executive of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Health Trust, received a £75,000 pay-off after at least 90 patients died from clostridium difficile in hospitals she ran. The message is: reward for catastrophic failure.

Inevitably, the bracing winds of a downturn will clear away a lot of pointless administration.

Companies will cut back on non-essential functions and ship expensive jobs abroad to cheap countries when they can. Legislators who have never met a payroll refuse to understand that when they gold-plate employment rights, they ultimately destroy jobs and prosperity.

Companies should start getting fit right now. As Albert Einstein said: “Bureaucracy is the death of any achievement.” When it is a question of survival, there is no room for the non-essential.

Email: Luke Johnson
          You are preaching to the converted

HR are largely power mad little people. The bad ones (50%) are usually the female equivalent of the male golf club committee member. They have little appreciation of the commercial dynamics of business and are internal empire builders. They are also thick and insecure. They play their power games out in recruitment where they have a legitimate target for bullying .. recruitment agencies . Prefferred supplier lists are compiled for their convenience, consisting of psychophantic low level resourcers from mainly large agencies.
          They absolutely hate it when they are pushed aside by the business when the business decides to circumvent the PSL. They are particularly unpleasant to women recruiters, of which the good ones are deemed as threatening (because a lot of them are failed recruitment consultants)

Male HR people (and again I am talking about 50% of them) are even worse because they are largely made up of people who have essentially been sidelined from more important parts of the business, and they resent it.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I look forward to the time when they go back to the "Typing pool" where they belong.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I had a dust-up with my manager once. I gave him just enough rope to hang himself, and kept records. At the optimum time, I included HR in the discussions. Once they'd seen what had been going on, the manager got the elbow for messing up so badly, and I got a nice pay off to keep quiet.
              ( I did have friend in another HR dept advising me every step of the way ).
              Can you explain how this was possible?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Didn't the HR department used to be called the Personnel department? Or is that something different?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Prefferred supplier lists are compiled for their convenience, consisting of psychophantic low level resourcers from mainly large agencies.

sycophantic
                  It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Didn't the HR department used to be called the Personnel department? Or is that something different?
                    Yes, until Personnel was seen to be full of useless cows, so they had to restrict it to humans.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X